Share tips you have come across

Chris?

I think he lives in Phoenix AZ.

OMG :o

META-Tips: Hey Larry, What are you using to do your illustrations??

terryking228: META-Tips: Hey Larry, What are you using to do your illustrations??

I am using 'Snagit' by TechSmith.

https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html

Quick modification to the SMD third hand.

You can make the business end adjustable using syringe needles.

A sharp will get you as small as you need to go.

ThirdHand.jpg

Soldering.jpg

Anyone got any tips on best practices to mount an LCD on a panel?

I wouldn't like for example to have the LCD mounting screws showing on the front panel so I am thinking of using a piece pf plexiglass to mount the LCD right behind the panel but then you have to figure out how to deal with the opening on the front panel for the LCD to be visible. It would be nice to cut an opening on the front panel in the shape of the LCD and replace it with a piece of transparent plexiglass so that the LCD shows from behind. But, with out a CNC machine, getting everything to the exact shape is a nightmare. I am afraid the final result would't be that good.

Watcher: Anyone got any tips on best practices to mount an LCD on a panel?

I wouldn't like for example to have the LCD mounting screws showing on the front panel so I am thinking of using a piece pf plexiglass to mount the LCD right behind the panel but then you have to figure out how to deal with the opening on the front panel for the LCD to be visible. It would be nice to cut an opening on the front panel in the shape of the LCD and replace it with a piece of transparent plexiglass so that the LCD shows from behind. But, with out a CNC machine, getting everything to the exact shape is a nightmare. I am afraid the final result would't be that good.

Did you get any ideas from these posts 184, 104, 103, 109 and 132.

Edit:

It would be nice to cut an opening on the front panel in the shape of the LCD and replace it with a piece of transparent plexiglass so that the LCD shows from behind.

I used clear acrylic in post 133

getting everything to the exact shape is a nightmare.

I show how this is done without CNC in post 184

LarryD:

I think he lives in Phoenix AZ.

OMG :o

Scorpion city!

Watcher: Anyone got any tips on best practices to mount an LCD on a panel?

I use a template to cut the hole as above and use a bezel to mount. They are often offered as an optional extra with LED displays.

Not so common with LCD.http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/lcd-bezel-16x2

Like they say they can be difficult to find.

Sometimes you have to make your own bezel out of thin plastic as bezel mounts do not like thick mounting panels, have a look at larry's ideas above.

For some plastic it is easy to cut by scoring and snapping.

Dressing the edges can be tedious though. I prefer flame polishing which is quick but takes practice.

Updates on two posts:

One.jpg

Two.jpg

How did you make the PDFs you used in the other threads? Rather than having it all scattered across a dozen and a half pages I think a single PDF or something in the front post that's kept up to date would be good. I'd be willing to make it if you point me the right way. One ring to rule them all reference for these obscure but useful tips would be great.

I've taken about as much as I've contributed here, so I love this thread. I don't want to lose anything in here.

I used MicrosoftWord/export to PDF, but I do have Adobe Acrobat Pro.

At some point, I might get things in PDF form, however they are usually too large to post in one file here. Maybe can find a host site like Terry's.

Maybe can find a host site like Terry's.

I'd be real happy to host it; I'm way behind on putting Larry's / Others material on ArduinoInfo.Info

Just email me...

Got about 7 more things to still cover, see you then.

Modify RJ45 plugs so you can more easily terminate a cable with them.

When drilling the connector, let the drill do the work (do not force the process).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Note: Wires should be cut flush to the connector surface, not as shown in the above image.

Make a coffee and process all you connectors :wink:

Nice idea! Now to find cable with strong colors, not mostly faded into white.. >:(

Next time you purchase some parts, get one of each battery holder so you will be prepared when the time comes to do testing.

One.jpg

Do you really need the ST-M to Dupont-F converter? If the connectors you’re using aren’t 0.1" spacing, you could change to these red ones that have good retention force and will mate well with male headers.
s-l300.jpg

But either way, big yes to crimp connectors. I just got some recently (like the day before I posted the cable twist photo) and they’re also great for regulator modules, motors, and other things like that that won’t be plugged into a breadboard.