Share tips you have come across

If there is room for DIN rails, they are nice to use.

For all you music lovers, the Subnuatica soundtrack makes for same epic building and coding.

Flush Hold Tweezers

When manually soldering SMDs, I mostly use the previously mentioned Magnetic Hold down Clamp.

There are, however, times when you may want to use tweezers to place and hold down your SMD while soldering.

A flushing problem can happen when using normal tweezers as the device might not be flush on the PCB surface.

If you use the soldering method where solder is first placed on one pad and the device is placed with tweezers, the device can sit off the PCB; you then must reheat the SMD and place the tweezers on top of the device to keep it flush.

The following discussion shows how to modify a pair of tweezers so the tweezers can add a downward flushing force to your SMDs.

These tweezers will then ensure the device is soldered flush to the PCB in one process.

Magnetic hold down clamp

Diamond cutoff wheels

If you don’t have diamond cutoff wheel, an auger bit file works well too.

1 Like

FYI
Using the Sketchup 3D drawing program when designing projects.

Sketchup Making a Front Panel Bezel REV1-0.pdf (1.2 MB)

1 Like

I use sketchup quite a bit for the 3d printing edits etc.
Awesome tool with a major caveat in that it does not handle metric decimals at all but rounds them up or down

:grimacing:

You set the measurements preferences to metric with the number of decimal places needed. :thinking:

It never seems to hold between sessions.
Even if I save as a custom profile.

I use TinkerCAD. Good for 3D Printing design for beginners.

I learned to hate that website after I learned actual CAD.

If you want to quickly access your resistors, LDRs, diodes with labels you can find these boxes filled with mini Tic Tac boxes if you search for "diamond painter organizer".
Each one holds about 50 1/4w resistors.

You can pull components with tweezers or shake a few onto your bench.
You can get a new value and easily reorganize your grid in just a minute.

I've found some interesting resistor values too.

Each case of 64 boxes holds about 3000 components in a 10" x 5" x 2" space.

3 Likes

Now I can repurpose these bags and recycle the rest.

1 Like

Hi,
I bought a stack of these mahy years ago, not sure where, they are the right width for resistor leads and you can connect them into decade rows/columns.

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :australia:

I have a bunch of those, they're great, but they take a lot of real estate being flat. They do however make access a bit easier and restocking go a bit faster.

I've been itching to use one of those for a tiny85 project of some type. Maybe the worlds smallest useless box?

@TomGeorge What are these? Are these some type of boxes?

Regards.

Hi,
They are;

If you Google

modular component boxes

You should get hits to other suppliers like Bang or Ali.
I think I got these on Ali, much cheaper than Core.

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

SMD Storage.

They are probably similar to these:

These a available too:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/storage/containers/102140-watchmakers-cases?item=27K5001

And:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/storage/containers/44948-watchmakers-cases-in-aluminum-cases?item=27K2202

Hi,
Those round ones look ideal for our SMD stuff that we have to buy in for repairs, you buy 5 instead of just the 1 you need. :+1: :+1:
At the moment currently going into an SMD sample book, but its 10years old and about to fall apart.
DIL ICs of course go into an anti-static foam pad in boxes.

Tom.. :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia: