Sharing 5V pin

Hi all

I want to connect four Ultrasonic senors on Arduino Uno and because the shortage of 5V and Ground pins , I am inquiring if I could share one pin of 5V (same thing for Ground pin) to feed four sensors without effect the process of these sensors ?

I don't understand what you mean about leakage of the pins (do you mean shortage, I wonder) but it is OK to supply several devices from the same 5V and GND pin subject to the total current being within limits.

You need rubber stoppers in the unused pins to prevent the current getting out :)

The 5V regulator is only rated for 800mA, and you'll only see that with 7.5V into the barrel jack (and maybe not even that, there is not much heatsinking on the regulator). Check how much current the sensors needs. Might be better off with an external 5V supply.

KenF: You need rubber stoppers in the unused pins to prevent the current getting out :)

Where do you get yours from? I can't find the correct size ones anywhere. :)

@Robo, your edit of the opening post (which I happened to have read before you changed it), renders UKHB’s reply #1 meaningless and makes him look crazy. When you do need to retract or correct something you said, I think it’s better to leave it in but strike it out (perhaps with an explanation) or to add a new post. That way, the thread still makes sense; right now it doesn’t.

That said, if you’re using breadboard, it’s easy to share like you say, just by using the (usually) red and blue power rails as busses. Just take 5V to one, Gnd to the other, and wire in as you need. (Subject, of course, to current being available…)

If it’s more permanent, you could solder wires together or use connector block with jumpers on one side.

edit… pic of connectors with jumpers added

strike.PNG

jumpers.PNG

If you use a breadboard be aware that some have gaps in the power rails part way along the board which need to be jumpered if the power is to be distributed along the whole length.

UKHeliBob: If you use a breadboard be aware that some have gaps in the power rails part way along the board which need to be jumpered if the power is to be distributed along the whole length.

Never seen one: can you post a picture? Just out of curiosity

rlogiacco:

UKHeliBob:
If you use a breadboard be aware that some have gaps in the power rails part way along the board which need to be jumpered if the power is to be distributed along the whole length.

Never seen one: can you post a picture? Just out of curiosity

Some are not continuous across where I have the red ovals in the attached.

breadboard2.jpg