Shield assembly

Hello,

I would like use 1 Arduino card and use many shields (the same) but the shield isn't on the card.

Our project, we have a windows box and we add several other window boxes.we control the main windows box with the Arduino and the other windows box with the shield the Arduino link many sensors (solar, hygrometric,...), each box have its sensors.

So it's possible to have 1 Arduino card and many shield link with wire to the Arduino UNO card?

I'm french so you can answer in French or English.

Lanfeust69

if i understand correctly you want to do something like this:

this is possible, but can be very complicated. i would recommend that you take a look at the i2c interface to connect all these shield assemblies.

you mentioned something about sensors, so i would recommend removing the shields from the equation completely and try to use i2c compatable sensors instead.

using the i2c interface requires only two wires. hope this helps.

lanfeust69:
So it's possible to have 1 Arduino card and many shield link with wire to the Arduino UNO card?

This is a contradiction in terms. A shield, by definition, is made to plug directly into Arduino, no wires needed, and you may stack several on top of each other. Having said that, I'm not sure it answers the question, but I am sure you need to address the matter more deeply. I also think you need to be rather wary of using an I2C bus, as I understand it is only for use over short distances, i.e. ideal for shields but that is about all. There is also the matter of how much wiring you want running round the place. I imagine addressing the latter may be quite easy by having it all outside the building.

The simplest approach might be to have sealed modules containing sensors and an ESP8266, each reporting back to the central point via WiFi. The central point may then be a Node-MCU rather than Arduino. This solves all the signal problems, and is probably cheaper than using wire. All you need do is provide a 3.3v power bus. You may even find that batteries suffice.

My 2c for you...

using wifi is a definate option, however if you went with using something like this, i would recommend using the nrf24l01 modules instead. cheep. effective. well documented. if you go this route check out the radiohead library.

as for distance problems with i2c, if done correctly you can go more than 10-20ft IF DONE CORRECTLY, and can implement repeaters and error correcting algorithms to go very far, but you would need shielded twisted cable, so it would get expensive fast but would be very reliable.

so for this project, nick_pyner is 100% correct that using multiple arduinos connected with sensors and NRF24l01 modules would be best and the easyest to debug and implement(or even wifi or bluetooth).

good luck!