Shields for servos

Hello, i’m working on a robotics project and i need to connect servo’s to my Arduino. I’v been browsing the shop for a shield that would allow me to connect servos and other motors. I think iv found one. Can someone check this and confirm that you can connect servo’s to it? I just want to be sure before I buy it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Heres the link: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoMotorShieldR3

If you're describing RC servos then no, this is not an appropriate shield. This shield contains an H bridge motor driver on it where as an RC servo already has the H bridge circuit inside it and has no use for an external one. If you're referring to "servos" which is a term sometimes given to fancy motors as would be used with CNC then yes, this would be a step in the right direction.

For RC servos you're probably best buying a prototyping shield and pin headers and laying out everything in a way that suits your project. Each servo just needs +5V, ground, and a connection to one Arduino pin.

If you're describing RC servos then no, this is not an appropriate shield.

as i'm new to this i'm not exactly sure what an RC servo is,but if it helps this is the servo i'm using.

here's the link: Servo - Generic High Torque Continuous Rotation (Standard Size) - ROB-09347 - SparkFun Electronics

You can drive a servo with out a shield. It just takes a pulse width modulated signal. 1000 to 2000 cycles per second if I remember right.

You should start with a blank shield and some pin headers and solder the headers in rows of three so you can plug your servos into them. The three pins will be GND, +5V, and a signal (as joehacker mentioned).

It's important that you not try to supply 5V to the servos using the 5V supply from the Arduino; if you do this with any more than a couple small servos you'll pull too much power and cause the Arduino to power off and reset. You'll want a seperate 5V wall wart or, as would be used in the radio control world, a "BEC" to supply power for the servos. Again the prototyping shield linked above will make it easier to get everything wired together.

It's important that you not try to supply 5V to the servos using the 5V supply from the Arduino

so in other words you should use the screw pins for GND a Vin nd to power the servo's instead of trying to use the 5V the arduino supports, correct?

How many servos and motors do you need? If it’s only one or two servos, I’d recommend Adafruit’s Servo/Motor shield: http://www.adafruit.com/products/81

I'm using two servo's and i'm using the board in the link in my original post.

two servos - drive directly from the 'duino
that is the wrong board for servos

look at the example servo sketches