Shift Registers and LED Arrays

Trying to set up an LED array off an Arduino Uno that has 60 LEDs, each individually controlled.
I’ve tried to run the examples under the ShiftOut page, as well as a number of different Shift Register walk throughs, using the 74HC595 IC, but nothing I seem to do gets any results. I’ve rewired everything multiple times, tried changing I/Os on code/board, tested the LEDS (trying to get one 595 to work first, so only set up with 8 LEDS at the moment), but for whatever reason, none of the example codes on line produce any results.
I can’t figure out if I’m missing something really simple, or something really complicated, but I’m pulling my hair out over it.
Any suggestions?

http://arduino.cc/en/tutorial/ShiftOut << this is the link I started with, but neither that nor a few other online walkthroughs seem to work.

Post your code and also a circuit diagram of how you wired the first shift register

http://arduino.cc/en/tutorial/ShiftOut << this is the link I started with, but neither that nor a few other online walkthroughs seem to work.

Then you are doing something wrong. Just telling us you copied it exactly is not going to cut it because you didn’t you missed something out. So lets try and find out what you did wrong by posting a picture of your wiring and your code.

By the way there is a error in that tutorial, the capacitor should be between the power and ground pin of the shift register and NOT where it says. It will not stop it from working but it will cause long term damage to your Arduino if you have it where they show.

Grumpy_Mike: Then you are doing something wrong. Just telling us you copied it exactly is not going to cut it because you didn't you missed something out. So lets try and find out what you did wrong by posting a picture of your wiring and your code.

By the way there is a error in that tutorial, the capacitor should be between the power and ground pin of the shift register and NOT where it says. It will not stop it from working but it will cause long term damage to your Arduino if you have it where they show.

how many years do we have to keep telling people that the tutorial is wrong ? how come no one will fix it ?

The problem might be that it is by Tom Igoe on of the original Arduino founders, it might be political. And it actually works in the short term through "parasitic decoupling" but it is bad and can damage the arduino.

I have got files of those images in that tutorial that I have "photo shopped" so they are correct, if any one is interested, but I think the Arduino camp is a bit distracted at the moment.

Mic are the "photo shopped" images too big to post to this thread.

At least they would be visible somewhere, or do you have them on a website ?

Personally I've never had any issues with shift registers, but I have not built a large array on breadboard, I've only used 4 at a time and those were soldered to a form of VeroBoard