Shopping in Tokyo, advice request

I'm on a trip to Tokyo and will go to Electric Town soon to shop stuff to use with arduino, and the board itself. I am a true noob so I am very depending on advice from others.

1. I am out for bargains of components that will be more expensive in Europe. I would like to find good prices for solenoids, servos, sensors etc. I am building a stash.

2. I am also out to buy the Arduino stuff itself. Arduino unos, some nice shields etc.

3. I aim to use this stuff to manipulate acoustic music instrument toys and control them algorithmically from software like Pure Data. But it may be for any music project later on.

4. I need to know precisely what type of components and values will work with arduino.

5. I would also be very happy I could get some advice on where to go to check out some cool projects. Or performances. Or anything else cool vaguely related.

Please help me out with this! I will be very thankful.

And please ask me to first clarify if you are unsure what I mean.

N.

I did the same some 25 years ago, 6809 processor days. It was fun to go to that same district in Tokyo. Hundreds of small stores no bigger that 10X10 feet, some selling only capacitors some transistors etc. Prices were cheaper than in Canada, but not a great deal less. I would suggest you go have a great visit and not spend too much time looking for things.

Better today to order parts from China, free shipping.

I don't know if you are going to get any "good deals" in Tokyo, but I'm sure they have some cool stuff. You would have to stop over in China for the dirt cheap junk, but bringing a big stash of electronics through customs might raise some eyebrows. I hear import taxes are a big thing.

I agree .

Only buy 'cool stuff' you cannot find elsewhere.

Mind you i have a cupboard full from years of radio rallies that never sees the light of day.

look for tokyo rose as well

Some shops you may want to look at are Aitendo, Sengoku and Akizuki Denshi.

I was there a couple of years ago and many of the smaller chops that used to sell electrical components are now focused on mobile phones. This is a big change from 10 years ago, when the 10x10 stalls were plentiful. I also found there there was little ‘Arduino’ stuff compared to, for example, Hong Kong or Singapore.

As others have said it is an interesting place to visit and see some cool stuff you won’t see elsewhere, but don’t expect the bargains that would hae been available many years ago.

Is there really any physical shopping location with better selection and price than the internet?

None better :)

Thanks a lot guys.

That's kind of good that there are cheaper ways.

The next obvious and quite weird question is: what would that cool and unique stuff be? :)

You can get some interesting scarfs there http://www.oddee.com/item_98069.aspx |370x500

brodbord: Thanks a lot guys.

The next obvious and quite weird question is: what would that cool and unique stuff be? :)

Hopefully you will know it when you see it. It may not be so cool when you get home though.

Remember, stuff like Mexican hats do not fit well in overhead lockers.

@Crossroads My wife has that exact same scarf. ;)

We liked walking around the stores in Tokyo. Enjoyed Beppu, a city and spa resort in southern Japan. Kyoto, Nara and Osaka were great.

Did not like Nagasaki. .

LarryD: @Crossroads My wife has that exact same scarf. ;) .

My scarf has the exact same wife . :)

Tokyo isn't the place for this anymore.

There are places in china where you very much can find components way cheaper than over here. Tokyo isn't where they make that stuff anymore.

brodbord: Thanks a lot guys.

That's kind of good that there are cheaper ways.

Hi,

You could check out the cool hotel where the cool movie "Lost In Translation" was filmed. There would be lots of places shown in that movie that would be cool to visit and probably stuff to purchase too. Gotta walk down the main street at night too :-)

Tihihihi, cool comments! I guess I invited for trolling but I would not bother myself or you if I did not want a relevant answer.

Gotta watch out for Godzilla too, obviously!

DrAzzy:
Tokyo isn’t the place for this anymore.

There are places in china where you very much can find components way cheaper than over here. Tokyo isn’t where they make that stuff anymore.

For cheap components yes, but there are niches where the chinese crap can’t hold a candle to japanese-made parts.

Give me an example on what those parts might be, please.

Condensers, stepper motors, etc.