Should double coil steps feel smoother / provide more torque? (Stepper motor)

I have a bipolar stepper motor with 2 coils, I was wondering, when 2 coils are active, if it is supposed to feel smoother, and does it yield more torque (vs Single coil)?

Thanks
D

Most stepper motors have at least two coils. If you do have a strange motor then please post a link to the motor datasheet.

...R

Heres the product info

With bipolar steppers, the usual operating mode is with both coils always active. For smooth stepping, use a microstepping motor driver.

However, the motor you have is high impedance and probably won't work well with many of the microstepping motor drivers.

devk100:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9238

Heres the product info

I have some of those motors. They work fine with A4988 stepper drivers. I use a 19v laptop power supply with them.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

devk100:
I have a bipolar stepper motor with 2 coils, I was wondering, when 2 coils are active, if it is supposed to feel smoother, and does it yield more torque (vs Single coil)?

Thanks
D

You get more torque if you overdrive the motor, but using dual coils properly requires using 70% of the current when driving a single coil, so as to not overheat the motor. Basically the torque should be about the same.

These days the question is less relevant, microstepping is used for smooth running and reducing resonance
(the major cause of miss-stepping). By driving both coils in quadrature you get the best performance
(although there is a trade-off between smoothness and step pulse rate to be made).