should i be aware for using arduino boards for long time execution?

As the subject question, i would like to know if is it ok to use arduino board in projects that execute 24/7 , for example , i would like to make my garage door open and close from a distance [meters] wireless.

I did some searches and found the following :

• there is no problem running arduino 24/7 and you could face problems only if you are soldering the wires in wrong manner !
  • you could face problems with long term running if you are have a variable that takes millis() value
  • this is obvious and clear*

For the example i mentioned, what problems i could face?

thank you.

TheNoneP:
there is no problem running arduino 24/7

This is correct.

TheNoneP:
you could face problems only if you are soldering the wires in wrong manner

You can also face problems a second after starting your Arduino if you solder the wires in the wrong manner. So that's irrelevant.

TheNoneP:
you could face problems with long term running if you are have a variable that takes millis() value

Only if you don't follow the simple and extremely well documented best practices approach to using millis(). If you use millis() correctly then there is absolutely no problem. Please do some research on this topic and learn how to use it correctly.

TheNoneP:
As the subject question, i would like to know if is it ok to use arduino board in projects that execute 24/7 , for example , i would like to make my garage door open and close from a distance [meters] wireless.

• there is no problem running arduino 24/7 and you could face problems only if you are soldering the wires in wrong manner !
  • you could face problems with long term running if you are have a variable that takes millis() value

thank you.

A lot depends on what you are doing to make the door go up and down. Are you intending to replace the momentary switch inside the garage with a relay to emulate the switch operation. Or are you intending to replace all the control up the actual AC motor?

Paul

“should i be aware for using arduino boards for long time”

CAUTION is recommended!

Yes, if you do this too long there may be serious physical conditions and if you stop, withdrawal symptoms.

You may get head aches from late nights, head concussion from hitting a brick wall and weight gain from applying IOT projects to your home.

I have ATMEGA hardware and code running (albeit in my own PCB), with a complex application.. up-times are well over a year between unneeded resets...
But that’s only the controller... you need to develop a whole ‘system’ that is reliable - not just the logic that controls it.

I’ve a Chinese Nano clone , been running for three years and only rebooted if the mains power went off . Still runs fine .

Paul_KD7HB:
Or are you intending to replace all the control up the actual AC motor?

that is exactly what i want to do, i mean i will only have the door all the hardware is going to be new.

thank you.

TheNoneP:
that is exactly what i want to do, i mean i will only have the door all the hardware is going to be new.

thank you.

In that case, begin with a block diagram with the Arduino just a box with a name on it. Add in the motor, the direction control method, the wall switch inside the garage, the remote control box, and the safety devices you will use to ensure your pet is not crushed with the door closing.

Paul

There are techniques for increasing long term reliability, for example, configuring a watchdog timer reset if part of the system appears to freeze.
There are also techniques for reducing long term reliability by using methods which fragment the heap storage, for example using the String class without reserving storage.

TheNoneP:

Obvious and clear to those who who screw up their code and don't know it.

• Both the millis() and micros() counters count up from 0 to over 4 billion before rolling over.

• If you use unsigned subtraction of end time - start time you get the correct difference up to the amount that the unsigned integer variable can hold even if the end time is past rollover from the start time.

• With unsigned long time variables the maximum difference is just over 49.7 DAYS.

• With unsigned int variables the maximum difference is a bit over 65 MINUTES. 16 bit timers are smaller and run faster.

• With byte variables it is just over 1/4 SECOND, I use byte timers for debouncing buttons because they are small and fast.

Look at a round clock. If the hour hand is on 3 and the start time was 10, to subtract 10 from 3 move the hour hand from 3 backwards (subtract) 10 hours and you get 5, the number of hours between 10 and 3. That is base 12 unsigned math in action, works for up to (12-1) hour differences.

The Arduino BlinkWithoutDelay Built-in Example sketch does mix signed and unsigned variables (long and unsigned long) in the sketch. It should bug at about 25 days... maybe that's supposed to be a lesson but I call it a poor example.

One member, Morris Dovey, wrote a time library that uses 64-bit type unsigned long long. It can time millis for billions of years, like when our sun bloats to red giant stage. So max possible interval can be larger than any practical need.

TheNoneP:

thank you.

As long as your workmanship is good and the Arduino is protected from damage, it will run 24/7 for years with no problem.

larryd:
“should i be aware for using arduino boards for long time”

CAUTION is recommended!

Yes, if you do this too long there may be serious physical conditions and if you stop, withdrawal symptoms.

You may get head aches from late nights, head concussion from hitting a brick wall and weight gain from applying IOT projects to your home.

I've suffered that one!