Should I get the Arduino Ethernet Shield or the Wireless Shield?

I'm not sure which of these to get and I can only get one. What can I do with the two of them? Can I turn on a Tv using the Arduino wireless shield? Ideas on what the two can do will be helpful, so I can make a decision on which one is more suitable for my needs. Also, do they both come with everything I need (minus the Ethernet cable for the Ethernet shield) to get started?

(deleted)

I've been dabbling with the E'net shield and it's quite fun. My server, as programmed very basically right now, should be visible to you here where you can view my time and temp. I've had it working with simple buttons and check-boxes switching an led from a browser. You might like to have a look at this tutorial

It's complete to use, as you say no drop cable, and you will likely need to have an sd card available. There's also a PoE module available which might make deployment simpler.

I have no experience of the wireless shield.

Hi Cryptic_Wonder,

Both the ethernet shield and the wireless shield are advanced parts and I think we can tell from your question that probably neither are suitable for you at this stage of your learning. Save your money for more basic but useful parts for now. We can help you decide what to buy if you can tell us what you want to do first. Start simple!

So you want to control a TV? Tell us what parts you have already. Do you have an Arduino, breadboards, a multimeter etc. ?

Paul

@JimboZA

So I have to buy the SD card separately? What type? Also, this server of yours, does your Arduino have to be turned on for in to be available and must it be connected to a router 24/7?

@PaulRB If it's all programming and wiring components I should be fine, I've been programming for years although I am new to the Arduino.

It takes a microSD, mines a 2GB one that I already had, not sure what capacity it can handle.

It has to be turned on to be seen yes, but doesn't have to be connected 24/7 no, but of course it's invisible when it's not connected.

I had to apply port forwarding to my router, quite a lot of ports didn't allow me to do that, like port 80 which is default, but eventually I found that 8085 worked. My router allows dynamic dns and I signed with dyn.com for that.

@JimboZA so is the Ethernet shield really just playing around with web servers using an arduino?

Cryptic_Wonder:
@JimboZA so is the Ethernet shield really just playing around with web servers using an arduino?

Not sure what you mean by "just playing around".... If it's remote control you're after, it's a way of doing it over the 'net from a browser. Have the Arduino server serve up your page on which you can have controls to change the state of the Arduino pins which in turn then control your equipment. Have the Arduino read sensors as usual, and have the results served up onto your browser in say gauges. So then your browser is the window into your equipment.

I suggest you get the basic w5100 Ethernet shield as it has generally been well sorted out. Consider a wireless shield when they are better sorted out.

Edit: perhaps you should identify which type of arduino "wireless shield" you are referring to. There are wireless Ethernet type network shields and wireless shields that are not associated with Ethernet type network operations.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ethernet-Shield-W5100-Micro-SD-Card-SlotFor-Arduino-2009-UNO-Mega-1280-2560-G9-/151167670523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23324b98fb

Cryptic_Wonder:
@PaulRB If it's all programming and wiring components I should be fine, I've been programming for years although I am new to the Arduino.

Hi Cryptic_Wonder, apologies , your question "can I turn on a tv using a wireless sheild" had me completely fooled that you were a beginner with no understanding of the difference between infra red and wifi!

Paul

@PaulRB I am new to the Arduino, however when it comes to the programming side of things I pretty much know what I'm doing. Are you being sarcastic? That TV thing was just an example, it don't actually intend to do something like that. I just wanted a general idea of the kind of things i could make the Wireless shield or ethernet

Cryptic_Wonder:
Are you being sarcastic?

No, not at all. But I can't help wondering why you chose that example.
Were you testing us? :wink:

Are you being sarcastic?

Your information request is technically vague, so nobody really knows what you are looking for.

JimboZA:
You might like to have a look at this tutorial

Thanks for that link Jimbo. Very interesting. Have you figured out how to serve the index.htm page from a regular web server so that the Arduino only needs to respond to requests for the small xml file containing values from its inputs (a couple of switches and a pot in tgeir example)?

Thanks (and apologies to cryptic for hijacking your thread).

Paul