Shrinkifying simple LED strip arduino project with rechargeable battery

Hello,

I am looking to shrinkify my arduino project to the smallest size possible. As of now it is very simple and just includes an LED strip with 9 individual LEDs. I understand that I could use the ATtiny85 chip to get rid of the much larger Arduino Uno that I am currently using. Moreover I would also like to have a mini battery that has a port to recharge, as well as an on/off button. Will this be a challenge to combine with the ATtiny85? Do you have advise for a battery, as well as a resource for the on/off button?

I'm new to this so I appreciate any hints you may have.

Thank you!

Additional information: I'm trying to make a spinning top that can light up, that's why I would like to have all the electronics inside.

SinaBanana1:
Hello,

I am looking to shrinkify my arduino project to the smallest size possible. As of now it is very simple and just includes an LED strip with 9 individual LEDs. I understand that I could use the ATtiny85 chip to get rid of the much larger Arduino Uno that I am currently using. Moreover I would also like to have a mini battery that has a port to recharge, as well as an on/off button. Will this be a challenge to combine with the ATtiny85? Do you have advise for a battery, as well as a resource for the on/off button?

I'm new to this so I appreciate any hints you may have.

Thank you!

Additional information: I'm trying to make a spinning top that can light up, that's why I would like to have all the electronics inside.

Lipo battery with a charger/protect/boost module.

You could also use a barebone atmega328p. A little bit larger but easier to assemble and control.
Attiny85 is a good idea though

Hello! A Nano is much smaller than an Uno.

8 pin ATtiny45/85 and 14 pin Attiny44/84: High-Low Tech – Programming an ATtiny w/ Arduino 1.6 (or 1.0)

If you can solder surface mount then you get tiny, the DIP versions are very small.

The slower you run the chip the less current it takes and the less voltage it needs. Run 1MHz for the little you want to do.

Look for a very small DC Boost Converter. I have some that have USB port outputs (too big for smallest) that turn 0.9V-5V into 5V on a charge socket. Somewhere there should be a little board that will let you turn around 1V into about 3V, likely with an adjustment screw and then a single AAA could run the thing and be recharged externally -- think about using cheaper, less likely to explode though not so super NiMH batteries. Just 1 battery right along the spin axis won't get centrifuged in a spinning top.

Possibly a super capacitor or two with resistor could power a few leds for a minute especially if they're not all on all the time. Then you would charge quickly from a power plug (through zero resistance unlike when draining) before spinning.

I would make the on/off switch internal. When the top spins two springs with weights get pulled outwards, cross small gap to make contact is switch. Stop spin and springs open the gap. There must be two to balance while spinning. Edit, add: or maybe 2 mercury switches and both must be ON (wired in series as 1 switch).

Thank you for the answers - helped me out a lot!!!

i use alot of those cheap lipstick diy powerbanks (below 1$ on ebay from China). The output is 1A 5V, it has USB power in and a build in recharge and cut-off protection. pair it with a lipo battery of your choice, i used small ones like 300mAh and up to 15000mAh packs with those boards. best you can get for the price.

Actually, not a Nano but a Pro Mini.

If it fits, it is already fully built and contains pretty much all the parts you need. The regulator is of essentially no use and it and the pilot LED could be removed to minimise idling current draw.

GoForSmoke:
or maybe 2 mercury switches and both must be ON (wired in series as 1 switch).

Now that gets tricky.

To prevent them from actuating when sitting - vertical - on a stand, they must be tilted inward, but if the top is stood upside-down (or resting on its side with the two switches horizontal), they will still actuate at rest. :astonished:

2 mercury switches horizontal each with contacts end facing outward. Laying to one side, only one switch is closed and both are wired in serial for AND logic. That might take more spherical mercury switches than are made?

GoForSmoke:
2 mercury switches horizontal each with contacts end facing outward. Laying to one side, only one switch is closed and both are wired in serial for AND logic.

Ah, but even if they are both in line, there will be a position where both are horizontal and the mercury may be sitting in opposite ends.

As you say, you would actually need mercury switches of a special, somewhat spherical shape.

Or balanced somethings that swing into place when the top spins.