Shutdown mode for ethernet? (Wiznet W5100 chip)

Hi all,

I'm using a Freetronics EtherTen which uses the Wiznet W5100 chipset for Ethernet. Looks to similar to the Sparkfun ethernet shield.

Does anyone know if there is a shutdown mode for this chip? I had a quick look through the datasheet and can't find any pins alluding to any reference to such a mode. Maybe there is a software solution to this problem? The chip draws plenty of current (up to 183mA) and I'm trying to design a portable device that runs at relatively low power, and I don't need the Ethernet connectivity the whole time the device is on.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Hi I've look for same thing last days and found no 'software only' solution. Nothing in 5100 data sheet. Nothing on the web. I even try to keep resetting 5100 with no result. Unless some 'undocumented' feature only way seems 'power control' and 'isolation' from SPI.

For that reason I'll stay with 5100 for server apps needing permanent ethernet connection and use ENC28J60 for client apps. Librairies for that chip are getting better. Here is the way for sleep mode : http://blog.derouineau.fr/2011/07/putting-enc28j60-ethernet-controler-in-sleep-mode/

Thanks al1fch! Great link! Sounds like the ENC28J60 could be the way forward for me....

I'm using a Freetronics EtherTen which uses the Wiznet W5100 chipset for Ethernet. Looks to similar to the Sparkfun ethernet shield.

Does anyone know if there is a shutdown mode for this chip?

Have you contacted Freetronics ?

Nothing in (spammed) WIZnet forum about “5100 powerdown” but a new promising chip : W5200 !!
Several enhancements… among them a powerdown pin !!

You also can do it the brute force way .... * bend the 5V pin of the ethernetshield and switch it with another (free) pin of the Arduino ....

disclaimer: never tried ...

Hi robtillaart
I suggest a ‘not so brute force’ way : avoid high level sent to an unpowerd chip on SCK, MOSI and SS.
Low or tristate digital pins 10, 11 and 13… and say bye bye to other SPI peripherals during this time !

Hi, I tried to put the pins 10, 11 and 13 to LOW before putting the system to sleep, but the chip seems to remain powered....