Signature gone amuck

"From "How to use this forum - please read.": "Taking the time to make a proper, punctuated, post is a mark of courtesy and respect. It will improve your chance of a response.""

What is your problem? The OP did all the right things. Why are you Being such a bitch ?

One of my problems is the way so many people treat forum posts like text messages.

For a few hours my “custom title” was:

“i”, “u” and “r” are not words.

I thought it looked a bit too obnoxious so I went back to the default title.

I haven’t figure out why so many people appear to think it’s okay to use a lowercase “i” instead of a proper “I” when referring to themselves.

[quote author=jack wp link=msg=2548217 date=1451865844]
The OP did all the right things.[/quote]

I absolutely agree. This thread started out will a very nicely asked question. I thought Kiwi_Bloke did an excellent job.

[quote author=jack wp link=msg=2548217 date=1451865844]
Why are you Being such a bitch ?[/quote]

It was certainly not my intent to suggest Kiwi_Bloke hadn’t made a proper post. I thought it was understood text in a signature wasn’t necessarily part of the a post.

I see lots of signatures saying they don’t want people to PM with technical questions. I don’t think such signatures are directed toward the author of the previous post.

If someone has “use code tags” in their signature they don’t stop and change their signature when replying to people who are correctly using code tags.

I’m not sure it’s the correct attitude to have, but I find I’m less likely to offer help is someone treats a forum post like a text message. Based on the quoted text, I think it’s safe to say I’m not the only one who has this attitude. I thought using the quote in my signature would help people know what they could do to increase their chances of getting help.

I did worry including the quote would seem kind of obnoxious. I recall thinking the “Don’t PM me” type signatures were not very friendly (until I started receiving PMs myself).

I’ll likely drop the quote from my signature.

For the record, the following had been my signature:

From “How to use this forum - please read.”: “Taking the time to make a proper, punctuated, post is a mark of courtesy and respect. It will improve your chance of a response.”

The quote was item #10 of this thread. Here’s a larger quote from item #10.

1. Post in proper sentences

This is a forum you are using, not a mobile phone.

As a courtesy to the people you are hoping to have help you, type complete sentences. That is:

Start with a capital letter.
Spell words properly.
Finish with a period (full-stop). (Just the one, thanks!)

Prediction:

In 20 years, you'll look up "your" in the dictionary, and the definition will be, "An archaic form of ur".

[quote author=jack wp date=1451865844 link=msg=2548217] "From "How to use this forum - please read.": "Taking the time to make a proper, punctuated, post is a mark of courtesy and respect. It will improve your chance of a response.""

What is your problem? The OP did all the right things. Why are you Being such a bitch ?

[/quote] What bought this post on? ? ? ? Who is it directed too? ? Am I missing something or has a posting been removed? All postings up to and including post #3 seemed pretty civil to me. Tom.... :neutral_face:

From @DuaneDegn's post, it appears there was a misunderstanding about what was "signature" and what was "post".

@jack wp, the next time you have an objection about someone's signature use Report to Moderator. And try not to resort to name calling.

TomGeorge:
What bought this post on? ? ? ?
Who is it directed too? ?
Am I missing something or has a posting been removed?
All postings up to and including post #3 seemed pretty civil to me.
Tom… :neutral_face:

In case others are wondering what this is about, @jack wp was replying to my post in this thread.

For the last few days my signature had been the following:

ArduinoForumSignature160103.PNG

That’s not readable. Here it is again with a narrow browser window.

ArduinoForumSignature160103c.PNG

I considered waiting to find out if @jack wp knew the text was from my signature and not part of the reply but I had been unsure if the quote was really an appropriate signature so I decided to remove it.

Based on the title of this thread, I think it’s clear the quote wasn’t appropriate signature material.

Hopefully I’ll be able to come to terms with the death of capital “I”.

I am one of those that dislike posts that make no attempt to post in reasonably correct English. I do not worry about those that are obviously not normally an English speaker.

It does not take a lot of effort to press the shift key for capital letters, or, to complete the word rather than short forms (other than recognised abbreviations of long words).

As far as signatures go, I have no problem having a reminder of forum requirements. It is no different from what some other members have.

Weedpharma

DuaneDegn: Based on the title of this thread, I think it's clear the quote wasn't appropriate signature material.

The thread title is not a judgement of your signature but a reflection of the affect the signature had on a few forum members.

I suggest making an attempt to answer the obvious question: Does your signature improve writing quality? (Which would certainly make an interesting sociology experiment.)