Silent DC motor

Hi! Maybe you guys can give me some advice on which Dc motor I should use in my new project?

I want it to be powered from the Arduino board. It doesn't have to go faster than maybe around 40 rpm and will not carry so heavy objects, maybe like 500g (Imagine a rotating plate, a bit larger than a Vinyl disc). I'm also planning to use a potentiometer to control the speed. AND I need it to be as silent as possible.

Any advice?

/Rob

There is a big difference between "silent" and "as silent as possible".

I recall a Thread where someone wanted an extremely quiet motor to drive the focus or zoom on a movie camera (to save the exorbitant cost of the Sony part) and I don't think he found a solution.

If you want to rotate a plate with something sitting on it the effort required by the motor depends almost entirely on the quality of the bearings for the plate. Low friction bearings should allow a low powered motor to be used.

In my limited experience DC motors are generally quiet unless you expect enormous speed from them. A lot depends on how they are mounted. And a belt drive would be quieter than gears.

...R

Focusing motors are often made silent by being ultrasonic (not silent to dogs!).

The motor is not usually(*) the prime source of noise, the gears and bearings are the
main issue. Spur gears are utterly hopeless, helical or worm are better, but rubber
belt is usually the best option as there is no direct metal to metal contact.

(*) Having said that stepper motors are noisy and this cannot be eliminated - don't use a
stepper.

Small cheap motors are bad BTW - you need quality.

You might look at DC motors used in automobile applications.

Robin2:
If you want to rotate a plate with something sitting on it the effort required by the motor depends almost entirely on the quality of the bearings for the plate. Low friction bearings should allow a low powered motor to be used.

MarkT:
The motor is not usually(*) the prime source of noise, the gears and bearings are the
main issue. Spur gears are utterly hopeless, helical or worm are better, but rubber
belt is usually the best option as there is no direct metal to metal contact.

Thanks for your answers! Do you think this product is good for my purpose? >>

Servos have spur gears and are thus noisy.

Hi,

Do you think this product is good for my purpose?

What is you purpose/application?

Tom.... :slight_smile:

kreationsministern:
Do you think this product is good for my purpose? >>

FIRST - you have not defined the noise level you require

SECOND - that webpage does not define the noise level of the turntable.

Being realistic, I think you just need to get a motor and do some experimenting.

...R

TomGeorge:
Hi,
What is you purpose/application?

Tom.... :slight_smile:

I want to create e rotating plate (40 cm in diameter) to place some objects on. I want to be able to control the speed of the rotation.

Robin2:
FIRST - you have not defined the noise level you require

SECOND - that webpage does not define the noise level of the turntable.

I have no idea how to define the noise level, you're right, I will have to experiment. I thought that turntable maybe would be good with the bearings and so on to save me some work...

I thought that turntable maybe would be good with the bearings and so on to save me some work...

How big is the turn table? Search home depot site for "lazy susan". Small geared stepper motors on ebay may do what you want.

kreationsministern:
I thought that turntable maybe would be good with the bearings and so on to save me some work...

It may be perfect or it may be useless - I just don't know anything about it.

...R