SIM900 losing SMS content

Hi - I've been having a bit of a problem receiving SMS messages with a SIM900 GSM shield (one of [ur=http://linksprite.com/wiki/index.php5?title=SIM900_GPRS/GSM_Shieldl]these[/url] to be precise). I'm finding that after the first 13 characters are received, aside from a couple of random characters, the remainder of the message is lost.

The test message I am sending is "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog". If I send it three times, the following is what is displayed in the serial monitor (I have hidden my phone number for obvious reasons!):

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ RDY

+CFUN: 1

+CPIN: READY

Call Ready AT+CM +CMT: "+447******","","14/09/11,11:01:12+04" The quick browud +CMT: "++447***","","14/09/11,11:01:59+04" The quick brow z +CMT: "++447******","","14/09/11,11:02:13+04" The quick brow

I have been fiddling with this shield since I bought it a few days ago and this issue has gotten worse over that time. Initially I would have to send a very long message to get the gobbledegook at the end, now it consistently can't seem to handle more than 13 characters without breaking.

I am using the following code on an Uno:

#include "SoftwareSerial.h"

// define GSM shield pins
SoftwareSerial SIM900(7, 8);

// container for text messages received
char incoming_char=0;

void setup(){

// open comms to the serial monitor
  Serial.begin(115200);

// initialise the GSM shield
  SIM900.begin(19200); // for GSM shield
  SIM900power();  // turn on shield

SIM900.print("AT+CMGF=1\r");  // set SMS mode to text
  delay(100);
  SIM900.print("AT+CNMI=2,2,0,0,0\r"); 
  // blurt out contents of new SMS upon receipt to the GSM shield's serial out
  delay(100);

}

void loop() {

while (SIM900.available() > 0)
  {
    incoming_char=SIM900.read(); //Get the character from the cellular serial port.
    Serial.print(incoming_char); //Print the incoming character to the terminal.
  }

}

void SIM900power()
// software equivalent of pressing the GSM shield "power" button
{
  digitalWrite(9, HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(9, LOW);
  delay(12000);
}

A bit of extra info on the above...

When I first used this module, I plugged in a 9v power supply by mistake, which resulted in one of the caps exploding in a rather spectacular way. I replaced the cap and tried with the correct 5v supply and it all seemed to work OK.

Could this be the reason for my problem? I've made and received calls with it (in so much as it makes my phone ring) and sent text messages which have been successfully received.

Solved this myself - I set the baud rate on the SIM900 to 9600 (I think the default is 19200) and not losing anything at all now.

I assume the Arduino wasn't able to read and process the serial data quickly enough, but who knows - as long as it works.

Thanks for reading... move along now.

Hi, i am using same code. I set the baud rate of SIM900 to 9600 but didn't work . I am using ATK-SIM900A GSM modem. I don't know what is the problem. Help me !