Simple Button On 3.3V Pro Mini

I'm trying to wire a simple button on the 3.3V Pro Mini but I'm having a lot of trouble. Here's what I have:

VCC: 10k resistor to button, wire to Pin 10

Button: wire to ground

The chip is being powered by the FTDI for now.

What am I doing wrong? I am very new to the Arduino.

This is the code I used...

int ledPin = 13; // choose the pin for the LED int inPin = 10; // choose the input pin (for a pushbutton) int val = 0; // variable for reading the pin status

void setup() { pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT); // declare LED as output pinMode(inPin, INPUT); // declare pushbutton as input }

void loop(){ val = digitalRead(inPin); // read input value if (val == HIGH) { // check if the input is HIGH (button released) digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW); // turn LED OFF } else { digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH); // turn LED ON } }

Do you have a meter to varify that the voltages goes from +3,3vdc when released and 0v when pressed at pin 10?

Lefty

No, unfortunately I don't. Do the connections seem okay for this chip though?

Your wiring description sounds ok, however some button switches have four terminals in which two sets of two terminals are both the same electrical connection (if that makes sense?) and it's possible to wire it wrong such that the circuit acts like the button is always being pressed.

So what is your symptom, always LED on, off, intermittent blinking? I assume the sketch compiles and uploads OK?

Lefty