Simple Communication System between Internet Connected Services

Some friends and I are developing a system to allow communication between internet connected devices and services (like Arduinos) that removes the need for you to re-develop your application protocols for every project.

We weren't planning on making it public, but I thought I'd ask if there's any interest in this? It'd be a free tool obviously.

Thanks!

I'm not sure I know what the problem is that you are trying to solve. In order to communicate with anything on the internet, the device needs to have something that gives it connectivity. Ethernet Sheilds, as a matter of course, have libraries that afford the devices to provide services or get data from other sources.

I have recently been working on a project where I don't have the luxury of an ethernet sheild but, instead, I have found that, by connecting it to a host computer, I can then use that to provide the necessary services. I'm not quite sure where your system would fit.

I'm not knocking the concept, just not fully understanding what you're trying to achieve.

Essentially if you're trying to make devices talk to each other, or talk to Twitter, or whatever, you don't really want to have to build server infrastructure to receive data from/send data to various APIs every time. Not to mention the cost of having each device know how to talk directly to those services on its own (in terms of RAM, FLASH, CPU cycles, etc.)

I'm basically talking about a service that allows you to send data in a single format which then transforms it into something understood by another service/device, without having to figure out every single device/service's language.

Hmm. Well maybe if you were throwing in a web server on the net it could work. Users could customise their own page to connect to their own devices then check in occasionally to see how their projects are ticking over. This may have some potential.

I'm basically talking about a service that allows you to send data in a single format which then transforms it into something understood by another service/device, without having to figure out every single device/service's language.

Seems like HTTP client/server protocol (and maybe others) generally do that. what would be unique about your new service?