Simple GUI for my Arduino

Hello,

I try to monitor the digital outputs of my arduino through ethernet. I don't know if it's better to do this with webserver or little vb prog, but if it's possible I want to show a signal path picture in background with 6 or more buttons and the the buttons color change with digital ouput state. Something like this but more simple :

Thanks by advance

I don't know if it's better to do this with webserver or little vb prog, but if it's possible I want to show a signal path picture in background with 6 or more buttons and the the buttons color change with digital ouput state.

You can do it either way. Which are you more comfortable with? What do you need help with?

You might take a look at Bitlash Commander, which is able to do simpler versions of the control panel you've shown.

https://github.com/billroy/bitlash-commander

Commander runs on the PC and serves web pages containing control panels you design. The arduino can be connected by usbserial or ethernet; there is a sketch to handle either case in the Bitlash distribution at http://bitlash.net, or you can roll your own.

-br

Thanks for your replies.

I looked the bitlash project but it seems too difficult for my poor level :disappointed_relieved:

On my arduino uno, I make a small program that get status (FAN , POWER ...) of an equipement through RS232 every 60s. This part works and I can show my status in the serial built-in monitor ...

But now, I want to display these status in a simple GUI / HMI on my computer throught Ethernet. I have some basic on VB, and I find tutorials between Arduino and VB program but it's through SERIAL.

I know, it's possible to have a small webserver on Arduino, but for this project I need to show some graphics : - a background with my signal path - some buttons that are sync with my digital outputs state (every 60s)

I understand my answer is vague for you, but it's worse for me... :~

(What is for you the easiest way to do this stuff ?)

Thanks a lot.

There are lots of different ways to implement it and I'm sure different people will have their own favorites, but my suggestion for a small and simple solution is that you create an ordinary web site hosted on a PC which uses AJAX client-side scripting to pull the data up from the Arduino as needed. If you wanted this solution to scale up, it would be better to use server-side scripting (ASP, PHP, JSP etc) to enable your web server to pull the data up from the Arduino as required and serve it out to the browser - that gives you much better control over the load applied to the Arduino.

With either approach you would write a web server sketch on the Arduino which handles the GET and serves out the raw data in some convenient format. The idea is that your client-side or server-side script would process this raw data and generate the pretty web page from it. The data format is up to you and what's 'best' might depend on what technology you use to implement your web app, but a single CSV data record containing the current value of all your status variables would be a good starting point.

The benefit of this approach is that the Arduino does as little as possible - that's good, because Arduino is a very poor environment to develop web sites. The clever web stuff is done on a PC where you have much better support, user-friendly WYSIWYG tools, and a million times more people you can turn to for help.