Simple led project advice

My daughter is building a small Lego tower and I want to put a led strip inside so that the translucent bricks light up. I would like them to change colour and turn on in patterns.

I am fairly new to hardware but have a long history in software.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to the parts I might need.

The model is 8 inches tall so I will need a very small strip of LEDs too...

Thanks in advance

Adafruit neopixles.

Pretty much any Arduino-ish thing for a processor.

-jim lee

jimLee:
Adafruit neopixles.

It's time I bought a small strip of those: there are a million posts about them of late, and some brilliant effects I've seen on the 'net. Probably worth a "play"

Please note that because of the Corvid-19 virus Adafruit is not shipping however you should be able to find another place that will sell them to you, they are a popular item.

https://www.adafruit.com/

digikey carries their stuff.

-jim lee

saildude:
Please note that because of the Corvid-19 virus Adafruit is not shipping

Corvid-19?

Stone the crows!

What else should I need?
I was thinking an Arduino mini or nano...

Paul__B:
Corvid-19?

Should have been COVID-19, sorry my spelling is challenged on a good day,

However one of my nieces has it and the doctors only have 4 test kits for a town of about 33,000 so she was just sent home with no testing and told if she can't breath some time to go to the emergency room, ain't our medical care and the folks that make the tests great??????

Saildude, you have a J boat?

-jim lee

jimLee:
Saildude, you have a J boat?

-jim lee

Yes I do a J/92 - 30 ft - Heart of gold - named after a spaceship powered by the infinite improbability drive - for health reasons I have just listed it with Sail Northwest in Seattle.

Nano is the more convenient one as it has the USB adapter on board. A Pro Mini is a more "advanced" model, no USB adapter on board making it slightly smaller, cheaper, and great for very low power operations. For your application the Nano will be the more suitable one.

Neopixels is the same as WS2812B, which you can get on strips at 30, 60 and 144 LEDs per meter. Use the FastLED library for easy control (and some really cool effects; one of the examples is "fire" making it really look as if the tower is on fire).

saildude:
However one of my nieces has it and the doctors only have 4 test kits for a town of about 33,000 so she was just sent home with no testing and told if she can't breath some time to go to the emergency room, ain't our medical care and the folks that make the tests great?

I have invoked some arguments regarding testing (in other places), but the question here is - how do you know that "one of my nieces has it", being COVID-19, if she was not actually tested?

Our local rules for testing are that it is only eligible if the history includes overseas travel or contact with a proven case of COVID-19. Mind you, I was tested (negative) with lesser symptoms due to my occupation (and that on advice of the local Public Health unit).

Testing has much lesser importance for the individual him/ herself than for public health. Isolation at home is the primary step for any generic "flu-like" illness; only if hospital admission becomes necessary will the diagnosis of Coronavirus actually influence individual management.

Clearly widespread testing is (critically) desirable in terms of public health including the need to understand the epidemiology of the disease and how it may be best managed as it becomes widespread, but if tests are limited, they are most important within actual contact tracing.

saildude:
Yes I do a J/92 - 30 ft - Heart of gold - named after a spaceship powered by the infinite improbability drive - for health reasons I have just listed it with Sail Northwest in Seattle.

Ha! I have one as well. J/35 No Tomorrows. - Named because, at the time, I was sick of everyone I knew putting off their dreams 'till later. Currently sitting on the hard in Anacortes.

-jim lee