Simple MIDI controllable musical Tesla coil - Startup help

Hello,

I'm totally new to Arduino (haven't even gotten my unit yet) and have very little experience with programming and microelectronics, but I'm eager to learn. I've ordered an Arduino beginner kit from www.dx.com, and I really want to make a miniature musical Tesla coil which I can control with a MIDI keyboard. I think I need some pointers before I go at this...

What parts do I have to get? There's a bunch of basic resistors and stuff in the kit I've ordered, but I definitely need some MIDI input and a keyboard, plus maybe something for the coil?

What coding functions do I need to learn about? I'm hoping to use existing codes as much as possible, and read about this file called "pitches.h". Can it be applied here? As far as I understand, I need to change not the frequency of a sound signal, but of the power itself. Or am I way off?

Is there already a guide somewhere?

Am I in over my head?

Any tips or pointers will be much appreciated.

Are you seriously saying that your want to build a Tesla coil Tesla coil - Wikipedia
which is capable of generating deadly voltages and you have absolutely no electronics experience?

I doubt anyone will give you advice on how to do this due to the extremely high level of danger you would put yourself in.

I appreciate your concern, but I didn't say "absolutely no electronics experience", I said "very little experience with programming and microelectronics".

I also said I wanted to make a miniature coil, as in 10-15 cm tall and driven by 5V USB power. Are these as deadly as the bigger ones? (Followup question: What is considered "deadly voltages" at what frequency?)

Am I to understand you discourage this project on account of my health and well being?

Anyway, I figured I'd have more respect for and understanding of the potential dangers if I made my own device instead of just buying a ready made one from eBay.

Maybe I ought to move this topic to the Audio forum? How do I do that?

rogerClark:
Are you seriously saying that your want to build a Tesla coil Tesla coil - Wikipedia
which is capable of generating deadly voltages and you have absolutely no electronics experience?

I doubt anyone will give you advice on how to do this due to the extremely high level of danger you would put yourself in.

Well, thanks a lot for the support, this has greatly inspired me to continue working with Arduino.