Simple RFM95W communication

I purchased 2 LoRo modules a while back (HopeRF RFM95W)... Setup on 2 Arduino Nano's was quite simple , with the RadioHead library.

So once both nano's are programmed as client/server respectively....it all works very well. The rage is very impressive compared to the other less powered trancievers I've tried.

What I do like (enjoy) about my $5 China transcievers is their ease of use. The cheapo thanscievers basicaly use 3 or 4 connection (+ gnd, rx/tx)...and you're in business...

There is no encryption of packet transfers of course which is a limitation....but EASY is the key word when working with the arduinos!

My issue is about trying to send simple information over the trancievers such as...clocktime.

The RadioHead example looks like this>

uint8_t data[] = "Hello World!"; rf95.send(data, sizeof(data));

I realise that we in the Arduino world are at the forefront of developement with LoRa (smiling!)... But it would be nice if a programming guru solved this simple problem for us NEWBs, with a more simple example to print out something other than HELLO WORLD..

BTW,...my client nano is connected with a DS3231 rtc..

Cheers to all... Seems like the future is in connected hardware...which includes LoRa...

She better be worth it,...cause she ain't easy...;-)

Write a simplified, complete example sketch that attempts to send something other that “hello World!” and post it using code tags (</> button on the toolbar).

Post links to where you have downloaded any 3rd party libraries. Use the chain links icon on the toolbar to make the links clickable. If you used Library Manager to install the libraries then state the full name of the library as shown in Library Manager so it’s easy for us to search for.

If your example sketch causes a compiler error then post the full error output using code tags.

With this information we should be able to easily give you guidance on how to accomplish your goal.

I realise that we in the Arduino world are at the forefront of developement with LoRa (smiling!)...

A lot of the early work testing and documenting the very long range capability of LoRa was done with PICAXE and Pi. The results of the PICAXE testing even surprised Semtech.

But it would be nice if a programming guru solved this simple problem for us NEWBs, with a more simple example to print out something other than HELLO WORLD..

There are a number of LoRa modules out there that accept serial input, so you just need a 4 wire connection, 2 power, RX and TX. So you use the 'normal' serial.print commands.

So perhaps your just using the wrong modules ?

The RadioHead example looks like this>

uint8_t data[] = "Hello World!"; rf95.send(data, sizeof(data));

And that avoids the use of the String library, and for very good reasons.

Granted that;

rf95.send("Hello World!");

Would be easier to use, but you end up using Strings.