Simple Smart Watch for the Arduino

Hello fellow hackers and inventors,

I am currently working on a simple smart watch using the arduino. I want it to tell the time and use it for programming basic games. Can you all show me how I should go about building and programming it (i.e., a general method)?

Start spending time on the sketches on the tutorial section to learn the Arduino language.
After a week you will have learned quite a lot what and how it can be done.

Any study book for the C/C++ language will be valuable

I can't remember its name, but there is a Kickstarter project which is an Arduino and small display in one small package, you may like to research that hardware.

Also, the same question has been asked before on this forum, I'd suggest googling for "Arduino Watch"

Thank you all,

But I do know C++ and the Arduino programming language. I am asking for a general approach.

goodinventor: . I am asking for a general approach.

Decide what you want to do. Buy the bits. Write the code.

I have been writing the code, however, the memory restrictions are making it difficult. How should I arrange it within the memory restrictions? Or is there a way to implement more memory that the Arduino can access in a portable package?

I have been writing the code, however, the memory restrictions are making it difficult. How should I arrange it within the memory restrictions?

Rewrite the specification. Rinse and repeat.

Thank you. Here is my code so far.

kernel.ino.txt (16.4 KB)

SD.open("Games.ino");

Errr . . . and?

This calls and runs another program. I have the skeletal structure for this and all the other programs called.

Er… you do know that the Arduino runs compiled C, and does not run an interpreter.

Yes, I know. I already compiled it and know it should work.

goodinventor: Yes, I know. I already compiled it and know it should work.

I'm interested in finding out what you're going to use a ".ino" file on an Arduino for. Display the source code on the screen?

This calls and runs another program.

It does? You've rewritten the bootloader?

I really think you should start with some basics and reconsider the capabilities of your proposed device.

Here is what I did. I kept the normal bootloader that is already on the chip. For the program on the chip itself I wrote a simple program that opens the main program on the SD card. Then that main program takes control. If another program is called, that program takes control from the SD card.

goodinventor: Here is what I did. I kept the normal bootloader that is already on the chip. For the program on the chip itself I wrote a simple program that opens the main program on the SD card. Then that main program takes control. If another program is called, that program takes control from the SD card.

So you've got some form of interpreter running on the AVR? Doesn't that take a lot of RAM?

I see what you're saying. Maybe I could write the program in the Arduino language but then turn it into a binary file before transferring it to the SD card?

goodinventor:
I see what you’re saying.

I’m not convinced you do.

Maybe I could write the program in the Arduino language but then turn it into a binary file before transferring it to the SD card?

That’s what the compiler does, but you’re then stuck with the problem of getting it into the processor’s flash memory to be executed, which is why I asked you about the bootloader.

Hmm..... I suppose it would be best then to combine the programs, trying to keep the program as small as possible. That gets rid of the problem.

Hello. I am working on a simple Arduino smart watch. Attached is the code so far.

Are there any more features I should add? What are your opinions on the program?

WatchOS_0_0_1.txt (22.6 KB)

Do not cross-post. Threads merged.