Simple Tally Counter with E-Ink?

Hello! I work in a bank and have been trying to find a device to keep a count of how much rolled coin I have. I started looking into making my own solution, and stumbled on some e-ink displays. So here's what I'm looking to do:

A relatively small display that says something like

Quarters: 0000 Dimes: 000
Nickels: 000 Pennies: 000

and it'll have an up/down button for each denomination, so eight total buttons.

Is it possible to have something like this either turn off or go into some sleep mode until a button is pressed? I'd like to power it off a 9v if possible, and draw as little power as possible. I have a spare Uno R3, but I'm thinking something like a Nano might be better since it needs less current.

Yes, the project sounds totally possible. I'd recommend starting simple and get your display working with the arduino powered through your USB or wall plug. Then worry about having the buttons work and updating the display. Then worry about putting your arduino to sleep to save power and getting it to wake up properly with a button press.

After all that is working, then focus on moving it to battery power.

How would I do something like 'putting it to sleep' and 'waking it up'? I should be able to use online guides to get the screen going and get buttons wired up, but that sounds like something a lot more complex

microkorgi:
I'd like to power it off a 9v if possible, and draw as little power as possible. I have a spare Uno R3, but I'm thinking something like a Nano might be better since it needs less current.

a 9v battery running a LCD display won't last long, far better to look at a couple of LiPo's or similar in a small battery clip. 9v Cells are great for low load constant supply (think smoke detectors) but they chew out very quickly in this type of project.

microkorgi:
How would I do something like 'putting it to sleep' and 'waking it up'? I should be able to use online guides to get the screen going and get buttons wired up, but that sounds like something a lot more complex

What makes you think there are no online guides/examples for putting an arduino to sleep? You will be amazed as what Google will reveal!

Kiwi_Bloke:
a 9v battery running a LCD display won't last long, far better to look at a couple of LiPo's or similar in a small battery clip. 9v Cells are great for low load constant supply (think smoke detectors) but they chew out very quickly in this type of project.

That's why I said I want to use e-ink. Set it and forget it.