Simple wireless connection

Hi y'all!

I have a question, couldnt find the proper answer on the internet. I am working on a project, and everything is going really well, arduino works great but I need to have a simple button far from the arduino which controls it. It is not possible to have a wire between the button and the arduino, and I would rather not use another arduino for transmitting a signal to the first arduino. Im pretty sure there is a way better solution, and I hope you guys can help me with that.

All I want is to send a bang (to talk in max/msp terms), nothing fancy. Can you guys help me out?

Thanks a lot!

Define "bang" in ELECTRONICS terms, since this is the Genrral Electronics Topic.

Do you mean "bang" as in " DETONATE" ?

I need to have a simple button far from the arduino ..... I would rather not use another arduino for transmitting a signal to the first arduino

How far is far? A Promini on the end with simple 433 MHz Tx unit sending button press info to Rx unit is pretty simple,
that'll be like my RF remote control but with just 1 button. Go into power down sleep mode in between button presses. Button press creates interrupt, uC wakes up, sends BANG message, goes back to sleep.
Use a 3.3V/8MHz Promini, run from 3.7V Lipo, or 3xAA or 3xAAA battery pack powering the VCC pin (not the RAW pin) to bypass the 3.3V regulator. Remove Power LED to save more power, add P-channel MOSFET to disconnect Tx unit power to save even more.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. Its just a signal. A short HIGH for example, but what exactly it is does not really matter i guess. It will work as a button, the arduino will receive a signal from the button, for example x ms HIGH on one of the pins and it will turn off the system.

Im sorry if im not very clear, Im not a genius programmer, and neither am i a genius in electronics.

Thanks!

And it will be no more than 25 meters, but it will probaly have to go through a floor, because the arduino will be on the third floor and the button on the first.

I have been doing a quick research and I think a pro mini is the solution, is cheaper then a arduino uno (so cheap enough), and like you say probaly the easiest way for this. Thanks a lot!

Use Virtualwire library on both ends to send and receive
http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/VirtualWire/
See the Examples.

raschemmel:
Define "bang" in ELECTRONICS terms, since this is the Genrral Electronics Topic.

Do you mean "bang" as in " DETONATE" ?

No, a bang is the term for an excitation message in the Max/MSP language.

Probably the simplest way (I recall this same question a month or so back!) is to use an optocoupler at the receiving end. You drive 10 (or 20) mA down the wire pair (with a series resistor) to the LED of the optocoupler (with no other connection to those wires), and connect the output transistor between an Arduino input and ground, possibly with a 4k7 pull-up resistor to Vcc.