Simulating pressure sensor signal

Hi guys so I want to simulate a analog 0 to 5v signal that would be coming from a pressure sensor. Would a simple low pass filter on one of the pwm pins work or should I use a dac converter? If the low pass filter would work what value or resistor and cap should I use along with what pwm frequency on the arduino? This needs to react relatively fast with a low ripple just like what the actual analog signal from the pressure sensor would be.

Thanks

Mitch

How about a potentiometer ?

// Per.

I need to read what the pressure sensor outputs then either output the same or a reduced value depending on the conditions

I's use a DAC, I wouldn't muck around with PWM for this. You'd probably need at least a two pole filter, and that'll slow down your response time and you'd still have some ripple on the signal.

Microchip makes some pretty cheap and good DACs you can find on Digikey/Mouser. Microchip makes a lot of good stuff besides PICs.

What would you reccomend i look for in a DAC? I have never used one before so i have some learning to do! I am also relatively new to arduino and electronics in general.

Thanks

Mitch

Hi,

I need to read what the pressure sensor outputs then either output the same or a reduced value depending on the conditions

You are saying "depending on conditions". So you will be inputting other signals/levels and outputting a modified sensor level ?

Tom..... :slight_smile:

yes depending on conditions. for example, if the pressure sensor is below 1V or over 4.5V just output the same value that was read in. But if it is between 1 and 4.5V reduce the signal depending on how much a potentiometer is turned up.

Any recommendations on a DAC?

Take your pick: http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Integrated-Circuits-ICs/Data-Converter-ICs/Digital-to-Analog-Converters-DAC/_/N-6j74uZscv7?P=1z0z63x&Ns=Pricing|0

Things to look for:

1. Through Hole or Surface Mount (I have through hole filtered on the page)
  2. Number of bits you need (I recommend 10 or 12)
  3. How you communicate with it (Parallel, SPI, or I2C inteface)
  4. External or internal voltage reference