Simultaneous SPI for Multiple Devices

I have 2 stepper motors that use limit switches to stop them. I'd like to remove these switches by using a TMC2130 stepper driver which senses when the motor stalls and tells the Arduino to turn it off.

These drivers are SPI devices. From my understanding of SPI, only 1 device can communicate with the master at a time (using chip select).

However, since I have 2 stepper drivers, I need them to both communicate with the master at the same time, to let the master know when the motor is stalling and to stop it.

Is my understanding of this correct, and is it possible for 2 SPI devices to communicate to the Arduino at the same time?

As per data sheet, you can operate more than one motors at the same time:

dfrenkel:
Is my understanding of this correct, and is it possible for 2 SPI devices to communicate to the Arduino at the same time?

It would in theory be possible to transmit commands to two SPI devices at the same time. Never tried that myself, sounds a bit wierd.

However you did say;

"I need them to both communicate with the master at the same time"

That is clearly not possible on the same SPI interface, as two devices sending data over the SPI bus 'at the same time' would conflict with each other.