Simultaneously output eleven independent voltages between 5 and 14 volts?

Hello

As title!

How can I use an Arduino to simultaneously output eleven independent voltages between 5 and 14 volts?

A complete solution/hand holding not expected, general pointers for further research most welcome! How to turn 0-5V with analog pin to 5-14V might be good start. I think op-amps and or transistors might be involved :) Very willing to learn so replies like, "research such and such circuits" etc would be great.

Project is, the brain for a drum machine sequencer

Thanks Jim

A Mega has 15 PWM outputs. An RC filter can turn that into a voltage between 0 and 5volt. That can be amplified by an opamp, e.g the LM324, to the required voltage.

There are also PWM breakout boards, e.g. the PCA9685 from Adafruit. So you can use any Arduino. Not sure if that will react fast enough for your project. Leo..

Thanks!

Wawa: A Mega has 15 PWM outputs.

I'm actually using a 'barebones Arduino' on veroboard, an ATMega328 flashed with Arduino UNO bootloader so would need a way of handling multiple PWM outputs. Are there PWM demultiplexer chips that could handle this?

An RC filter can turn that into a voltage between 0 and 5volt.

Is the output 0-5V anyway and is the RC filter used just to smooth that? (RC filter = resistor-cap filter yeah?)

That can be amplified by an opamp, e.g the LM324, to the required voltage.

Would the op-amp offer the minimum 5V signal or do I need to deal with that separately?

How would I send signals simultaneously (in parallel)? A shift register?

I have some experience fiddling around with demux/mux and shift registers as I've built Monomes/Arduinomes in the past

Thanks for your help!

Jim

dcjim: Is the output 0-5V anyway and is the RC filter used just to smooth that? (RC filter = resistor-cap filter yeah?)

This looks like a useful response to this question, I will read it!

http://provideyourown.com/2011/analogwrite-convert-pwm-to-voltage/

dcjim:
Would the op-amp offer the minimum 5V signal or do I need to deal with that separately?

A few resistors can set the required gain AND a 5volt offset, so 0-5volt is directly converted to 5-14volt.
Most cheap opamps are not rail2rail output, so you will need a slightly higher supply. e.g. 18volt.
Don’t know how much drive current you need. Common opamps top at ~10-20mA.
Untested example attached.
Leo…

Thank you!

The non-inverting op amp circuit Wawa suggested will work to generate a single voltage but to get 15 different voltages at the same time you would need 15 of these and 15 of the op amp circuits. , not to mention 15 pwm outputs. The UNO has PWM outputs on 3,5,6,9,10 & 11. (6 pins). You would need 3 of these. , and 8 pf these (dual op amp chip)

I did mention the Mega (15x PWM) and the cheap/common LM324 quad opamp in post#1. And a 16-channel 12-bit PWM PCA9685 I2C breakout board from Adafruit as an alternative. Leo..

Oh, I missed that about the breakout board. Yes , that’s a good solution with the cheap quad op amp chip.