single direction IR communication with 2 arduino's

Hello all. I would like to be able to turn an led on and off remotely using a pair of Arduino's and an infrared led and receiver. I've tried using the IR remote library and managed to capture the codes from my remote control and resend them so the circuitry is ok but i get stuck when i try to use an Arduino to send ir signals to another Arduino using my own code(ie. not the IR record example from the library). I'm a bit confused by the fact that you have to specify the protocol.
i also think that using this library is probably a bit OTT since all i want to do is send an on off signal, not many different commands.(the library also takes up a fair amount of space on the boards which i could do without).
I've even tried using the tone class to try and oscillate the IR led pin at 38khz(which is the frequency of my receiver) but to no avail.
if anyone has any suggestions for how to accomplish this i'd be very grateful for the help. Cheers,
Dan.

anyone?

gonadgranny:
I've even tried using the tone class to try and oscillate the IR led pin at 38khz(which is the frequency of my receiver) but to no avail.

There is no complexity on the receive side for your application because the module does all the demod. But it will be susceptible to any remote that happens to be used in the room. Why not read the library code, and pick out the part that generates 38Khz? Or use timer code.