Single sided with USB?

Hi… as i face a few ‘free’ days i would like to get my hands on etching for the first time… so what should i etch other than an arduino? What i look for is some schematics for an Arduino which is then of course single sided and most preferably using USB instead of a Serial port. As USB normally relies on having an FTDI chip which i dont have i would like to know if someone has schematics and firmwares for a project that was posted ages ago which used a second Atmel as USB->Serial Interface…

Why not start with something a little more simple. Make a small board that holds the electronics from a simple project. Try building a Simon game. Any basic arduino project will do.

overall etching is pretty simple. But there are several methods around for bathing the board.

well, i dont think etching is harder than some of the techniques in the lab i am used to (considering some of the tasks its quite the same actually o0)

But in the end i wanted to do something useful with the project, but maybe youre right… i might want to start with something easier…

Etching the SSOP package of the FTDI chip would certainly be relatively difficult.
I don’t think that the dual-atmega USB Arduino design info was ever published…

You could make one of the single sided boards that have the pin header for the FTDI cable.