SIP/VOIP Phone Strobe

Hello all,

I work for a non-profit. We deal with a lot of disabled individuals. They are requesting that I find a device that will alert someone who is hard of hearing that their VOIP phone is ringing.

I found this, which seems to be the exact thing I need.

http://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/cyberdata-sip-rgb-strobe-p/011376.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAksvTBRBFEiwADSBZfN9NxM3qjng6Y_bw37JCTYDxq6FQA7bhfnYnNaXjdcuMHUiMCQd_hBoCeCcQAvD_BwE

But I need a good amount of them, and this is way out of my budget for this project. Would it be possible to recreate this with an arduino?

I already have a roll of LEDs I can use, but the only part of the project I am not sure about is reading the data from the POE phone.

I am hoping that using two Ethernet ports and an arduino in the middle, I can somehow read when the cable is sending the ring signal to the phone, and turn the power to the LEDs on. (The arduino does not have to be POE)

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!

You would be able to replicate the product with a ESP8266-board and some LED's.

// Per.

Hello!

Thank you for the response.

Would this device be able to read when a SIP phone is ringing or not?

If so, I guess I have a lot of research to do. I was hoping that there was a way to read the data passing the cable if it was connected to the Arduino. :frowning:

fodelement:
Hello!

Thank you for the response.

Would this device be able to read when a SIP phone is ringing or not?

If so, I guess I have a lot of research to do. I was hoping that there was a way to read the data passing the cable if it was connected to the Arduino. :frowning:

Passing the cable trough your device would complicate things A LOT - it would need to pass all data packages, and do it fast enough to support the data rate of the connection (100/1000 Megabit)

Yes, by using the right services, you can see from third party device that there is a SIP-call ongoing - look at the documentation for the product you link to - data is not passing trough it.

// Per.

Ahhh yes, I miss understood what the product was doing. I assume the device had an "out" and an "in" port, and just sat between the switch and the phone. Well, that stinks. :frowning:

EDIT: I found this.

http://www.algosolutions.com/pdf/brochures-polycom/2506%20User%20Guide.pdf

My phones also have the ability to ring to headset. Maybe I can try something like this instead.