Six servo lego hexapod

Hey,

first movie of my hexapod robot! Arduino powered, using a duemilanove with atmega328, it uses only six servo's, as opposed to the usual 18 (3 for each leg). While this does pose some restrictions, as each leg has two dimensions of freedom (which it shares with another leg) as opposed to the three dimensions of freedom that would be offered by using three servo's per leg. However, this one is quite easy to control with a deumilanove, and since I still have a bit over half the program space available, who knows what else I'll add to it =)

Please do ignore the part at the end where the back legs fail, that issue has since been fixed :P This was in fact the third attempt for the robot to walk, some rubber pads on the end of each leg and some extra bracing has fixed a lot of his walking issues.

Plans for the robot include, but are not limited to: - adding a custom shield so I can add a LCD shield on top (it would need to use non-standard pins, and I'd need to utilise a multiplexer) - a 3D interface on the computer to give an impression of what the robot sees, also used to control the robot (in the video the robot is switched to walking by making that its default behaviour when not having a bluetooth connection) - capabilities for subjugating the human race and either establishing skynet or the matrix (ok, I won't bother with this one =P) - object avoidance code, possibly linked to a neural net on the controlling computer.

So without further delay, the video! http://www.frozenchaos.net/botty.wmv

Awesome! That really looks cool!

capabilities for subjugating the human race and either establishing skynet or the matrix (ok, I won't bother with this one =P)

Oh don't be so quick to rule this one out! ;)

Without the additional degrees of freedom, how are you turning? I assume that you have the middle legs operate in reverse. I imagine that the feet might skid a bit, but it should work. Is that how you handled it?

He hasn't actually turned yet, but the idea for turning is indeed that the middle legs would push in the opposite direction.

As for skynet or the matrix, perhaps something original is in order ;)