Sixteen channel high current driver shield

I've just started selling a new 16 channel high current driver shield through my company, Logos Electromechanical. It will source 5A @ 30 V on each channel and has protection against over current, over temp, and over voltage on all channels. Heat sinking is not required under most circumstances.

Control interface is provided by a pair of shift registers; an expansion connector allows daisy chaining of as mansy as 25 boards off a single Arduino for up to 400 high current channels.

This is a really sweet looking shield. I imagine it'll be extremely handy in process-control type applications.

Nice work!

BTW, it's now included on Shield List:

Arduino Shield List: Logos Electromechanical 16-Channel High-Current Driver Shield

Jon
Freetronics: www.freetronics.com

Thanks to your comment, I realized I hadn't mentioned process control on the product page... and now I do.

Sorry to sound like such a noob, but it looks so beautiful that I had to ask what exactly it does. I read the information on your company’s website and it sounds good, but I still don’t understand what its function is. Power delivery of some sort?

Well, anyway. Looks great (whatever it is)!

I’d appreciate a couple more angles and some hi-res shots. (Just me at least.)

Making it clearer what it's for is part of why I'm building the pipe organ, which is linked up on the Exhibition board. The idea is to be able to turn a whole pile of high current channels on and off quickly -- many more and at much higher currents and voltages than you could drive from the Arduino itself.

For the pipe organ, I'm driving a pile of solenoid valves. You could equally do a bunch of unipolar steppers (four per board), or any other application where you need to be able to turn a larger DC current on and off.

Also, I have kind of a crappy camera, so getting any good shots out of it is a lot of work. I need to make sure to borrow better cameras more often. :slight_smile:

Ahh..Okay that makes sense now.

16 high-current outputs on one board...that's pretty nice. Have you tested each channel for actual current output? I would kinda doubt it's actually 5A given the 0.11 ohm resistance of each channel (I don't know any plastic DIP SMT chip that can dissipate 11W!)

--
The Quick Shield: breakout all 28 pins to quick-connect terminals

The power to the switches is externally supplied, and can be as high as 30V, so driving 5A out is not a problem on that front.

You are correct that it can't drive the full output on all channels at the same time at continuous duty; however, all channels have a built-in overtemp cutoff that will cut the current well before any permanent damage results. Achievable duty cycle depends on ambient conditions.