Sketch compiles but will not upload on UNO; Cannot get Board info

Using the initial setup for Arduino UNO (see below) it will "verify" but will not "upload".

void setup() {
// put your setup code here, to run once:

}
void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

See attached image for IDE \ Tools.

I have spent time looking for similar issues and found their solutions do not work.
I would appreciate any help.

*** Error messages for upload failing ***

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows Store 1.8.42.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 444 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3e

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

COM1 looks wrong, is their another com port to choose from.

Is your UNO an official one, or a clone?

It is from inventr.io - it is part of the "30 days lost in Space" kit.

I have an Arduino UNO R3 and it has no problems. What's interesting is when I pull in the USB cable is comes back with COM3 (Arduino UNO) in the Port selection.

It's normal and expected that the "Hero" derivative board won't be identified in the Arduino IDE's Tools > Port menu as an "Arduino Uno". The reason is because it uses the CH340 USB chip, which has a manufacturer-provided VID/PID pair (USB device identifier).

Your "Elegoo" Uno clone uses the same ATmega16U2 USB chip as the official Uno, running the same firmware as the Uno's chip, which causes it to be identified as an Uno.

So don't get thrown off by the port not being labeled as an Uno, but you still need to answer @missdrew's question:

is their another com port to choose from.

If the answer to missdrew's question is "no", you will have to check in Windows device manager what's happening when you connect the Hero.

What's interesting is when I pull in the USB cable is comes back with COM3 (Arduino UNO) in the Port selection.

I don't understand; do you mean that if you connect the Elegoo, it shows the Uno? Or if no boards are connected, it shows the Uno on COM3?

There is no other port to select.

When the HERO is plugged in, the Device Manager shows

• COM1
  • LPT1

The IDE Tools\Ports show

• COM1

When the Arduino UNO R3 is plugged in, the Device Manager shows

• COM1
  • LPT1
  • COM3

The IDE Tools\Ports show

• COM1
  • COM3 (Arduino Uno)

It appears that the HERO attaches itself to the first COM port it finds instead of initializing another COM port (e.g. COM3).

And what does the menu show when you don't have any board at all plugged in?

When no boards are connected, the Device Manager shows:

• Communications Port (COM1)
  • Printer Port (LPT1)

2021-03-21_9-02-13.png

2021-03-21_9-02-13.png

So now you know that COM1 is not the port of your "Hero" derivative board. This is the internal port of your computer, which is always there.

Most likely the reason why you're not getting a port for your derivative board is because you haven't installed the CH340 driver. You'll need to go for a little scavenger hunt on the Internet to find the driver on the Chinese manufacturer's somewhat sketchy looking website. Make sure it's the website of the manufacturer, WinChipHead (WCH), and not some rapscallion hoping to convince you to install their malware.

Thank you "pert". That was the answer. I have to say it is a little nerve racking going to these sites. It was like playing "Russian roulette" with malware. It is too bad there is not a location within the forum where someone can retrieve drivers, etc.

Thank you "missdrew", "sterretje", and "pert" for your assistance.

I have learned a very valuable lesson between the real-thing "Arduino UNO R3" and a clone "HERO".

ironman19:
It is too bad there is not a location within the forum where someone can retrieve drivers, etc.

I think it's safer to get it straight from the manufacturer than from someone on a forum.

ironman19:
Thank you "missdrew", "sterretje", and "pert" for your assistance.

You're welcome. I'm glad if it's working now.

ironman19:
I have learned a very valuable lesson between the real-thing "Arduino UNO R3" and a clone "HERO".

If we're being nit picky, this is actually a "derivative", not a "clone". Your Elegoo board is a clone in that the hardware design is identical to the Uno (at least from looking at it on the picture). The designer of the "Hero" board didn't just copy the open source hardware design of the Uno. Its design is modified in several ways, one of those being the use of the significantly less expensive CH340 in place of the ATmega16U2 chip.

More information on that subject here: