Sketch gets larger by commenting out code (ASM within)

Came across something interesting today. I had initially placed a return(0); at the end of one of my functions, but then I thought that was silly because a return() would be implied at the end of a function so would optimized right out by the compiler.

But when I commented out the return(0);, my sketch GREW by two bytes! I expected absolutely no change.

byte lastButtonPress = 0; // this variable used for debouncing
unsigned long lastButtonTime = 0; // this variable used to enforce a delay between samples
byte repeatedButtonPress = 0; // this variable used to disallow the user holding a button down and sending zillions of button press events

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {

Serial.begin(38400);

}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {

byte buttonPress = getButtonPress();

if (buttonPress) {
    Serial.print(", button pressed: ");
    Serial.println(buttonPress);
  }

}

byte getButtonPress() {

if (millis() - lastButtonTime < 10) // if we already sampled less than 10ms ago,
    return(0); //  give the resistor ladder voltage more time to stabilize

lastButtonTime = millis(); // grab a fresh timestamp so that next time we're called, we avoid sampling again too soon
  byte thisButtonPress = 0; // a place to hold the button press result this time around
  int sensorValue = analogRead(A0); // grab a reading from our resistor-ladder of buttons

if (sensorValue < 208) { // no button was pressed
    lastButtonPress = 0;
    return(0); // don't do anything, since no button was pressed
  }
  else if (sensorValue < 412) // button 1 was pressed
    thisButtonPress = 1;
  else if (sensorValue < 616) // button 2 was pressed
    thisButtonPress = 2;
  else if (sensorValue < 820) // button 3 was pressed
    thisButtonPress = 3;
  else                        // button 4 was pressed
    thisButtonPress = 4;

// if we got this far, there was a legitimate button press
  if (thisButtonPress == repeatedButtonPress) // hey, we already fired on this press, the user must have held the button down
    return(0); // so do nothing

if (thisButtonPress == lastButtonPress) { // the same button was pressed at least two samples in a row
    repeatedButtonPress = thisButtonPress; // keep track of this, so we never fire again on the this press
    Serial.print("Sensor value: ");
    Serial.print(sensorValue);
    return(thisButtonPress); // finally, fire!
  }
  else { // we got a different button than last time, so wait for the next sample to match before we fire any event
    lastButtonPress = thisButtonPress; // remember this press to compare to our next sample
    repeatedButtonPress = 0; // no buttons were held down, so there was no repeat
  }
  return(0); // for some reason adding this in makes our sketch 2 bytes SMALLER?!
}

Verify produces: Result: Binary sketch size: 2,698 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

Comment out that last return(0); (or delete it entirely) and I get: Binary sketch size: 2,700 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

I used objdump and saw the following differences:

16e: 10 92 39 01 sts 0x0139, r1
}
return(0); // for some reason adding this in makes our sketch 2 bytes SMALLER?!
172: 10 e0 ldi r17, 0x00 ; 0
}
174: 81 2f mov r24, r17
176: df 91 pop r29
178: cf 91 pop r28
17a: 1f 91 pop r17
17c: 08 95 ret

16e: 10 92 39 01 sts 0x0139, r1
172: 02 c0 rjmp .+4 ; 0x178 <_Z14getButtonPressv+0xba>
}
// return(0); // for some reason adding this in makes our sketch 2 bytes SMALLER?!
}
174: 10 e0 ldi r17, 0x00 ; 0
176: 81 2f mov r24, r17
178: df 91 pop r29
17a: cf 91 pop r28
17c: 1f 91 pop r17
17e: 08 95 ret

There seems to be an added rjmp .+4 in the one without the return(0);. I know just enough about assembly to know I’m clueless when it comes to assemby, so I’m just curious… why the added rjmp?

The compiler should be complaining about the lack of a return statement in the function that is defined to return a byte, when you comment out the return statement. But, since warnings are disabled in the IDE, you don’t see it.

If the function SHOULD return a value, you need the return statement to define what to return. If not, you have selected the wrong type for the function.