SKetch upload ATMega328 with nano as ISP

Hi everyone !

After a lot of struggle I got the bootloader programmed on my ATMega328. I did follow the Nick gammons breadboard guide and also downloaded all stuff from github. Everything went fine. The bootloader did upload and the output of Board detector Verify well without crystal. Since I used a nano instead of a Uno I followed the wiring from kormitigrov.livejournal.com.

• pin d13 on Nano - to pin 19 on the chip
  • pin d12 on Nano - to pin 18 on the chip
  • pin d11 on Nano - to pin 17 on the chip
  • pin d10 on Nano - to pin 1 on the chip

So far so good. Back to Nick gammons breadboard page. When it comes to uploading the sketch he uses a FTDI cable, but I tried to use the nano.

Wiring :

RXD on Nano - to pin 3 on chip
TXD on Nano - to pin 2 on chip
RST on Nano - to pin 1 on chip

Settings on Arduino IDE 1.8.3 :

Board : LilPad Arduino
Processor : ATMega328
Port : Com4
Programmer : Arduino as ISP

I got the error :

avrdude : stk500recv() : programmer is not responding
avrdude stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10 : not in sync: resp=0xb9

Anyone ?

You cannot use a Nano as a usb to serial converter because the processor cannot be removed (without desoldering). With the Uno used in all the examples, you can just pop the processor out of its socket.

What you have now are two Tx pins tied together and the result is no communication.

Thanks for answer. OK. I expected that, so I went out for a FTDI adapter. But still problems.

The verbose output says :

avrdude: Send: 0 (30) (20)
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude stk500_getsync():not in sync. Resp 0x00

I have tried with powering from a power instead of the FTDI, Cap between DTR and reset, checked the driver twice both on Mac and Windows.

But nothing works...

BTW : I have also tried on a ATtiny85 with the same result.

Which board type did you select for the bootloader? Is that selection compatible with your clock components? Are you running with the internal 8mhz clock or an external crystal?

I have tried everything. But to sort it out I started with the same setup as I did with the Nano board. I burned the LilyPad Bootloader (8Mhz) when the crystal was on the board. Removed the crystal, rewire for uploading sketches.

Board : Arduino LilyPad
Processor ATmega 328
Programmer : Arduino as ISP

After that I have tried to upload the 16Mhz bootloader, changed board to Uno now I had the crystal on board but still no success

I have also tried to change the Programmer to every Programmer listed. I have tried with IDE 1.8.3, 1.5.2, 1.04 and 0022.

As I said I thought the ATtiny should be easier, so I wire it up, burning bootloader for 8 Mhz, uploaded a sketch with this wiring, rewiring to test the FTDI, same result.

I have deleted the FTDI and the drivers in the device manager. downloaded the latest driver from the FTDI site.

"I have tried everything. But to sort it out I started with the same setup as I did with the Nano board. I burned the LilyPad Bootloader (8Mhz) when the crystal was on the board. Removed the crystal, rewire for uploading sketches."

Why are you removing the crystal? If you burned the LilyPad bootloader with a 8Mhz crystal you need to have the crystal connected when you upload sketches. At least that is the way it is working for me today.

If you burn the bootloader as a Uno then you need the 16Mhz crystal in order to upload sketches.

If you want the internal 8Mhz clock then you need to burn the bootloader for that.

EDIT: This means setting fuses for your choices also.

MiniCore may help you.

I followed the description Gammons page

"Now the chip has a bootloader, and you can disconnect the power (USB cable) and remove the crystal or resonator.

The bootloader installation process changed the fuses on the processor, so it now runs from the 8 MHz internal oscillator. You can confirm by removing the crystal and two capacitors, reconnecting the power, and verifying:"

I did that.

I moved the cap between DTR and pin1 to another holes but still conneted in the same way, and VOILA..... it works....