SKYLAB 13BL GPS giving null Value

Hello to all ,
I am using Skylab13 GPS . I have used both TinyGPS and TinyGPS+ library too but every time it reads only some character like 5 6 char , it shows gps is connected ,

I have connected my gps through USB to serial Connector to know is it giving data or not , i got all the data in NEMA format through serial port .

Then again i write a code just to read any value from the serial pin of the Arduino but it reads only null char every time .

Help me to resolve the problem . or suggest me where I am doing the mistake .

gps9.ino (377 Bytes)

sumitswain:
Hello to all ,
I am using Skylab13 GPS . I have used both TinyGPS and TinyGPS+ library too but every time it reads only some character like 5 6 char , it shows gps is connected ,

I have connected my gps through USB to serial Connector to know is it giving data or not , i got all the data in NEMA format through serial port .

Then again i write a code just to read any value from the serial pin of the Arduino but it reads only null char every time .

Help me to resolve the problem . or suggest me where I am doing the mistake .

If you are Using an UNO, There is ONLY ONE SERIAL port.

If you connect the UNO to the GPS, any data you send out the Serial.print() goes to BOTH the SerialMonitor, and the GPS. The GPS expects any data it receives to be a command. not a bunch of random characters.

I would suggest you research SoftwareSerial(). It is a library that emulates the HardwareSerial using pins other than 0 and 1. It has limitations, but does work with most GPSs.

Chuck.

chucktodd: If you are Using an UNO, There is ONLY ONE SERIAL port.

If you connect the UNO to the GPS, any data you send out the Serial.print() goes to BOTH the SerialMonitor, and the GPS. The GPS expects any data it receives to be a command. not a bunch of random characters.

I would suggest you research SoftwareSerial(). It is a library that emulates the HardwareSerial using pins other than 0 and 1. It has limitations, but does work with most GPSs.

Chuck.

Yes i already worked with SoftwareSerial() same problem is coming

SoftwareSerial is very inefficient. Very.

AltSoftSerial is the best choice for a second serial port, but you have to connect the GPS Tx/Rx to Arduino pins 8/9.

Next best is my NeoSWSerial it works on any two pins at baud rates 9600, 19200 and 38400.

You could start with a simple echo program to verify that you are creating the second serial port correctly, and that you have connected the right pins:

#include <AltSoftSerial.h>

AltSoftSerial gps_port; // pins 8 and 9

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin( 9600 );
  gps_port.begin( 9600 );
}

void loop()
{
  if (gps_port.available())
    Serial.write( gps_port.read() );
}

If that works, you’re ready to use a GPS library to parse the characters.

I would suggest my NeoGPS. It is faster, smaller and more accurate than all other libraries. It can be configured to parse only the fields that you use, which saves even more program space and RAM. It is available from the Arduino IDE Library Manager, under the menu Sketch → Include Library → Manage Libraries. There are also suggestions on the Installation and Troubleshooting pages.

Cheers,
/dev

/dev:
SoftwareSerial is very inefficient. Very.

AltSoftSerial is the best choice for a second serial port, but you have to connect the GPS Tx/Rx to Arduino pins 8/9.

Next best is my NeoSWSerial it works on any two pins at baud rates 9600, 19200 and 38400.

You could start with a simple echo program to verify that you are creating the second serial port correctly, and that you have connected the right pins:

#include <AltSoftSerial.h>

AltSoftSerial gps_port; // pins 8 and 9

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin( 9600 );
  gps_port.begin( 9600 );
}

void loop()
{
  if (gps_port.available())
    Serial.write( gps_port.read() );
}

If that works, you're ready to use a GPS library to parse the characters.

Cheers,
/dev

Hello Dev

I have used altserialsoft but same problem persist nothing is showing.
The code for echo you have given is giving only NULL values (Blank Spaces ) and earlier I have worked with the NeoGPS but it is not giving me any output .

all connection are connected properly and GPS is giving fixed value too.

Thanks for your suggestion Dev.

The code for echo you have given is giving only NULL values (Blank Spaces )

Then it is not connected correctly. Until you see NMEA sentences on the Serial Monitor window, it is not connected correctly.

How is it connected?

/dev: Then it is not connected correctly. Until you see NMEA sentences on the Serial Monitor window, it is not connected correctly.

How is it connected?

Thanks for your concern Dev , yesterday i got to know on GPS board , a rectifier chip is malfunctioning and due this i am not able to get NMEA data . I worked with a different GPS module it is working fine .

Issue is resolved now