Sleep Current less than 1mA

Just want to ask whether arduino duemilanove can be put into sleep with sleep current less than 1mA ? I've tried to set the sleep mode and it still consumes about 15mA in power save mode.

Any help and suggestion is kindly appreciated. Thanks!

How are you powering the board?

Someone has got it down to about 5uA...

mowcius, who has got 5uA sleep? Can you show me the post or website?

Actually i'm doing a project by sending temperature reading from remote xbee to base xbee. Temperature sensor (LM35 type) is connected to analog pin_0, 5V pin and GND pin of arduino demilanove. I have another arduino xbee shield attached ontop of the board. I power the board with 9V battery.

I've programmed arduino to power_save_mode while xbee is set under pin_hibernate (sleep for 3 seconds, wake up and send, repeat the cycle). I've no problem to send data to PC. Sending current measured is around 68mA but sleep current is around 15.6mA.

I've tested this sleep current without setting arduino to sleep and it consumes 27mA. That means I've decreased the arduino current during power down for only 11.4mA ( 27mA minus 15.6mA ).

I would have expected this total sleep current less than 5mA. But what's wrong??? :-?

Here you go:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1273507808/9

Some quite drastic measures taken but you could do some things and make it low but not as low and more functional.

Mowcius

Is the power LED on during sleep mode?

Is the power LED on during sleep mode?

Yes, it is directly connected to the power on the board rather than through the ATmega chip.

I presumed that this would not be with a normal arduino as with the regulator and LEDs and 16Mhz etc it's not the greatest to try with.

If you did want to use the duemilanove then you would want to remove a few components.

Mowcius

I'm trying to send bursts of data over air using an RF link module, and am using the Arduino board directly without any changes to hardware. The chip has been programmed to sleep between cycles but still I measure 9ma of idle current. I would like to know if this is only because of the power LED or because of the 7805's idle (quiescent?) current too.

Thanks

Well, the current in the first place depends on what is your input voltage. Because the 7805 is a "linear voltege regulator" it consumes A LOT of power just to power itself. About 5-10mA in fact. If you can, assemble it on breadboard, the input voltage to a 7805 and then measure current from 7805 to Atmega chip (so, after voltage regulator, not before!) or don't use it at all - try battery's. For duemillanove (atmega168 20PU) you will probably get it down to about 250uA, I still have to test atmega168V which sould only use about 10% of that BTW.

Have you read this article? http://interface.khm.de/index.php/lab/experiments/sleep_watchdog_battery/

Regards, Peter

That article is nice. Thanks for the link.

Mowcius