Slot machine wheel project

Hi,
I was able to acquire a Price is Right wheel from the 2001 IGT slot machine.

As it stands, configuration is as follows
K179 Stepper driver
VLT130 AC/DC power supply
TDK-Lambda DSP30-12
Plus 1 item I cannot identify

Pic here:
Controller

Through an electronics friend who set this up, I have power and lights and the unit spins. However, I noticed that when I increase the stepping speed on VR1 on the K179, the spinning stops and just freezes. I originally wanted this unit to spin fast and then slow down and stop on a random number.
Do I need to use a stepper driver that is more powerful to get the wheel spinning faster? In the original slot machine, it spins very fast, though I do not have access to any of the original slot machine schematics.

As part of this project, I purchased an A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, but was not used.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

dsp30-12.pdf (66.5 KB)

k179.pdf (151 KB)

vlt130.pdf (328 KB)

Do you have specs for the motor? The K179 appears to be a unipolar driver so you are unlikely to ever get high speeds that route. If the motor is 6 or 8 wire then it could be wired bipolar and driven faster. 5 wire motor then you may have to find that most elusive of things a current-controlled unipolar drive.

One more point: You are ramping the motor speed aren't you? You won't get anywhere need full speed from a stepper if you expect it to instantly get to final speed from a standstill.

I had given my electronics friend the A4988 stepper motor bipolar carrier driver since I was told that could get the slowdown in speed I would need. He told me he was unable to use it. Not sure if that's the actual case or not.

I was ramping the motor speed, but on the original slot machine it goes from standstill to full speed instantly. Though I don't have any of those slot machine schematics.

Cmjb13: I had given my electronics friend the A4988 stepper motor bipolar carrier driver since I was told that could get the slowdown in speed I would need. He told me he was unable to use it. Not sure if that's the actual case or not.

Probably a 5-wire motor then

I was ramping the motor speed, but on the original slot machine it goes from standstill to full speed instantly. Though I don't have any of those slot machine schematics.

Well I wouldn't worry about the project, you're destined for a Nobel prize if you can demonstrate a wheel that instantly changes speed!

My point still is valid, the motor and wheel have to accelerate, and if you don't allow for that the motor will miss-step. Try a low acceleration rate and find the actual speed limit to the wheel's speed before giving up on the current hardware.

Having found the max speed, de-rate it by 20% and start increasing the acceleration until it miss-steps, then back off 20% on that as well. That will be about the best you can get for any driver/motor/load combination.