Slow opening ino files. Typed characters get into a *.ino file.

When my project has twenty *.ino files with some of 1000 lines per file, then they open slow. Meanwhile, I can do other things (so I thought), but what I type will get into a *.ino file.

Ubuntu linux, Arduino IDE 2.0.0-beta.3
I opened a project for the first time. The board was not set. I opened the drop-down in the bar for "Select Other Board & Port", then I searched for "uno". However, the tabs with *.ino files were still filling and the typed text was stored in a *.ino file.
This slow opening happened just once. Even after restarting my computer, loading the *.ino files is still many times faster.

Because the compiler gave an error, I could find the text that got into a *.ino file.
The dot in the tab label (after the file name) disappears so fast, that does not help to find a changed *.ino file.

Koepel:
I opened a project for the first time. The board was not set. I opened the drop-down in the bar for "Select Other Board & Port", then I searched for "uno". However, the tabs with *.ino files were still filling and the typed text was stored in a *.ino file.

Hi @Koepel. Thanks for the feedback! I monitor the Arduino IDE 2.x repository's tracker closely and I don't remember a report for this, so you're welcome to submit an issue to bring this to the attention of the developers:

Koepel:
The dot in the tab label (after the file name) disappears so fast, that does not help to find a changed *.ino file.

Arduino IDE 2.x has a File > Preferences > Auto save setting that is on by default. This is similar to the classic Arduino IDE's File > Preferences > Save when verifying or uploading, except it saves every 500 ms (configurable via the advanced settings).

So if you don't like this behavior of saving changes near-instantly, you can disable it in the preferences. You can also configure the auto save delay in the advanced IDE settings accessible via the gear icon on the bottom left corner.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.