small bluetooth question

I have a BTBee pro hooked up on my arduino esplora and I can succesfully setup connection with 1 hc-06, this will be 3 Hc-06 in the near future :)

I figured out that I can link with my BT modules whether they are paired or not paired. totay I suddenly couldn't connect with my slave. The LED was not blinking so the slave was connected, but to what I don't know it was not my esplora. I think I just unpaired it with the AT+RMAAD instruction, and that some other device randomly paired with it.

question: If you pair a slave to your master can another BT master link with this slave when it is currently not connected to it's own master? and if not, is this the only purpose of 'pairing' or is there more to it?

bask185: question: If you pair a slave to your master can another BT master link with this slave when it is currently not connected to it's own master? and if not, is this the only purpose of 'pairing' or is there more to it?

Yes, blueteeth can be promiscuous.. Pairing is really no more than getting into a master's address book, and enabling the password if any. This means that the connections are simpler. I believe it also stops a master from scanning about unnecessarily.

I even had it that it was automatically connecting with slaves with same pincode, I was on school working with it, and suddenly a buddy of mine asked, he, are you connected with my BT? when I looked left I saw my module blinking and his was not blinking :smiley: and I also saw my master was connected with something so I answered: egh, perhaps…

even more hillarious was that his laptop managed to connect with my slave 5 minutes laters, when his BT was connected with mine, they at the same name at the time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It all seems pretty normal - nothing hilarious

Any bluetooth can connect to any other, so long as:

1. One party is a master, thereby being able to initiate the connection
  2. the pin is known
  3. The other party is not already connected to a third party

There may be a problem with a clash of Mac addresses but I guess it's not likely. The name is immaterial, being there just for the convenience of humans, who are relatively illiterate.