Small Display screens connected to Internet

Hello! I have limited (to no) experience with Arduinos, but know that they are powerful. I have a project idea, and want to know how feasible it is. Where I am working right now, we are tracking production through "Production sheets", so, you can walk up to any part, and see what it is, whats been done to it, and by who (saying that they actually fill out the information). I am moving to a barcode tracking system, which will accomplish the same thing, but virtual. One complaint to the idea is that the only way you will know what a part is is if you have a computer and barcode scanner on you. An Idea that I had is that on each cart where parts are stored, I could have a battery powered arduino powering 3 small LCD screens (1 on each shelf). The arduino would communicate to my tables through WIFI, and display basic information about what is on that shelf. Is this possible? would it cost an arm and a leg to do? With the same arduino would I be able to implement RFID tracking on the carts as well? I might be trying to do to much with it. Let me know! Thank you - Nick

but know that they are powerful.

Not compared to a PC.

The arduino would communicate to my tables through WIFI

You said the Arduino was going to be on the table. Why does it need wireless communication on the table? Wireless communication between the table and the server makes sense.

Is this possible?

Yes.

would it cost an arm and a leg to do?

No, just a couple of fingers and a toe (or two nuts).

With the same arduino would I be able to implement RFID tracking on the carts as well?

Easily.

Well I understand its no where near as powerful as a computer =P but, given its size, it has a lot of capabilities. Lemme rephrase it a little. It will not be on a table. They are carts that are wheeled around the shop, so the arduino would be attached to the back of the cart, and the screens on the front. The arduino would check data located on the server and display it. Two nuts can be expensive in this day and age, you think it could be done for under 100 per cart? (arduino, and 3 screens)

The problem I see (actually a couple) - you talk about a barcode on the parts which is fine and makes sense, but now you are talking about RFID as well - if those are $10,000 parts, then the cost of RFID is not bad, but if they are mass produced parts only worth a few dollars each, then the cost of a barcode AND RFID would be significant. Another issue, depending on the RFID you are using, how do you know it is reading the parts on that cart and not a nearby cart etc?. Another consideration - the Arduino itself is pretty low power and works well with batteries, however, a wifi addition (like the ESP8266) adds significantly to the power requirements for a battery pack assuming your carts are being wheeled around as you say. Those are the issues I see that you need to address in your consideration of this project.

you think it could be done for under 100 per cart?

Yes. An Arduino, ESP8266, and three LCD screens can be had for $80 US. An RFID reader is only a few $.

PaulS:
Yes. An Arduino, ESP8266, and three LCD screens can be had for $80 US. An RFID reader is only a few $.

Great TY!

y

gpsmikey:
The problem I see (actually a couple) - you talk about a barcode on the parts which is fine and makes sense, but now you are talking about RFID as well - if those are $10,000 parts, then the cost of RFID is not bad, but if they are mass produced parts only worth a few dollars each, then the cost of a barcode AND RFID would be significant. Another issue, depending on the RFID you are using, how do you know it is reading the parts on that cart and not a nearby cart etc?. Another consideration - the Arduino itself is pretty low power and works well with batteries, however, a wifi addition (like the ESP8266) adds significantly to the power requirements for a battery pack assuming your carts are being wheeled around as you say. Those are the issues I see that you need to address in your consideration of this project.

Sorry, I am terrible at explaining the situation. Not every part will have an RFID tracker. The parts will be sitting on carts on the production floor. Each cart will have RFID tracking. The barcode will tell which cart and shelf the parts are on, then we can use RFID on the cart to see where the cart is in the shop. Then we will know exactly where any part is in the shop.

then we can use RFID on the cart to see where the cart is in the shop.

So, you are going to carry an RFID reader around, and ask every cart "Are you the cart I'm looking for"?

If you are thinking of tracking the cart, because the cart has an RFID tag on it, and you can read that from across the room, either you need active RFID (which is expen$ive) or you need a very small room - about 1" across.