Small quadcopter motors

Hi all, I love coding and I wanted to build a small quadcopter but I don't know much about electronic parts I have 4 syma x5c motors and I want to control them with an arduino nano, I read that I need 4 mosfets and 4 diodes to do that. Which should I choose and how do I connect them? :confused:

I bought this since it's small, light and inexpensive. I have now switched to microduino components exclusively.

https://www.microduino.cc/product/quadcopter

Scnziat: Hi all, I love coding and I wanted to build a small quadcopter but I don't know much about electronic parts I have 4 syma x5c motors and I want to control them with an arduino nano, I read that I need 4 mosfets and 4 diodes to do that. Which should I choose and how do I connect them? :confused:

The deal is you provide full details of the hardware, rather than make us all google and guess...

A friend gave me these motors because of his broken quadcopter. I only know that are brushed motor, the quadcopter has a 3.7v 500mAh battery. I can't find more info about the motors on google :confused:

I found more info here

To power the small DC motors on the drone, there are two dual N-Channel MOSFETs, Fairchild Semiconductor part FDW9226A. These can supply up to 4.5 amps continuous and up to 30 amps pulsed. There are two of these ICs with two FETs in each package.

But I don't understand: - how to connect it (has 2 source, need to connect both!? :confused: ) - then in datasheet i read characteristics about diodes: I need it or this mosfet already has it?

Then its not clear how to drive them. Do you know if they are supposed to run at 3.7V (probable for a microcopter)?

It so how about measuring the current draw when running with a prop?

Scnziat: A friend gave me these motors because of his broken quadcopter. I only know that are brushed motor, the quadcopter has a 3.7v 500mAh battery. I can't find more info about the motors on google :confused:

I found more info here But I don't understand: - how to connect it (has 2 source, need to connect both!? :confused: ) - then in datasheet i read characteristics about diodes: I need it or this mosfet already has it?

You would use one dual mosfet device to control two motors. The source pins of the two mosfets in the package can be connected together and to ground. Or you can get a separate mosfet for each motor.

With only using a single mosfet per motor you would still need a diode across the motor coils.

Something to bear in mind when driving motors like this from an arduino. The pwm frequency of 500hz or 1khz is quite hard on these tiny coreless motors and can reduce their lifespan. They last longer with higher frequencies 8khz and up.

I would say 20kHz even - but you then have to be careful about switching losses driving the gates of the MOSFETs from an Arduino pin. Choosing low total-gate-charge devices is important to help reduce switching loss.

Programming the timers directly to set the PWM speed is something that crops up here quite often, have a search for previous threads.

I can't find it, does anyone know where to buy it or an equivalent mosfet (and diodes too :confused:) ?