Small SDCard library

Hello.
I found an old post in the forum (Small SDCard library) where talk about your FAT16 library.
I’m having the same space issues and your library seems to be small enough to work for my project, but I can’t find a way to format a micro SD card to work with the library examples.
I formatted it in FAT16 but the fat16info.ino example gives an error (because the card size blocks is 512).
Do you know of any utility you could use to format today’s SDs to work with the library?

The Fat16 library only works with “Standard SD card” these are 2GB or smaller. SDHC cards require a different protocol and won’t work even if they are formatted FAT16.

Thanks for the quick reply!!
I understand.
Is there any alternative library to sd/sdfat libraries that can handle today’s SDHC cards that has a smaller footprint?

SdFat is the smallest SDHC Arduino SD library, the official SD.h library is just a wrapper for a 2009 version of SdFat.

You can reduce the size of SdFat by about 2,000 bytes by editing SdFatConfig.h.

For the BackwardCompatibility example in:

https://github.com/greiman/SdFat-beta

The unmodified size for Uno is:

Sketch uses 11150 bytes (34%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 997 bytes (48%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1051 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

With these settings in SdFatConfig.h
#define USE_FAT_FILE_FLAG_CONTIGUOUS 0
#define ENABLE_DEDICATED_SPI 0
#define USE_LONG_FILE_NAMES 0
#define SDFAT_FILE_TYPE 1

The size is:

Sketch uses 8966 bytes (27%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 991 bytes (48%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1057 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

Great! I’ll try those.
I’m also having trouble to get this microSD adapter to work, no matter what library I use.

According to the research I’ve done online it should work (I tried with an Arduino Mega 2560 and Arduino Pro mini ATmega328) and several different microSD cards, even an old 2gb card.
Does it require any special settings?
I’m trying the examples in the sd and sdfat libraries and can’t get them to work with this adapter. They all work with no problem in a SD Shield (with SD to microSD adaptor)

SDFAT beta seems to work better with this microSD module.
I need to do more testing, but I believe there’s some issue if you change the CS pin (at least using an Arduino Pro Mini). I had problems trying to use pin A0.