smaller chip and internal oscillator?

ok, please, feel free to flame me but I did search and I just can’t find the right info/didn’t want to bump a dead thread.

Here’s the questions.

1. can anyone recommended another chip that is small, i’m talking 8 pins small. I’ve only programed Arduinos and I love how easy the environment is. One click programing = one click satisfaction.

I have a need for smaller/cheaper chips in some circuits i’m planing on building. Code is minimalistic and I could prob build what I need with 555 times and decade counters but I want to keep costs down and not have to worry about programing with caps instead of numbers. (I’m lazy)

Is there anything that fits these criteria?

Basically an easy to pickup language and easy programmers. I have a parallel programmer I use to burn bootloaders on new ATMEGA168 chips if that helps in the task.

1. I know this has been killed, raped, and bludgeoned but is there a “simple” way to use the internal oscillator? I know it consists of loading the old bootloader? i think, lol. Does it require resetting the internal fuses (I think that’s what it’s called).

Thanks guys (and gals). I really do appreciate it.

For your first item I think this is where the PICAXE platform really shines. They have many processors in their series, from 8 pin to 40, but the 8 pin 08M is really great for minimum costs for simple applications that don’t require more then 6 pins of I/O or large coding solutions. The PC Windows and Linux based IDE is free to download and there is a great users forum to support new comers. It uses BASIC language and requires very simple programming interface, two resistor circuit connected to a PC RS-232 port.

http://194.201.138.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Categories/PICAXE

Lefty

The simplest way to use the internal oscillator is to burn the lilypad bootloader. It uses the internal oscillator at 8MHz, and the core Arduino code is supported.

It would be nice to have Arduino support for the 8 or even 20 pin devices.

-j

thanks for the super fast responses :slight_smile:

I’ve heard of PICAXE but never really investigated it. I guess now I have a reason.

Good to know about the lillypad burn, that way I won’t have to fool with much.

thanks again.

I’ve had pretty good luck using the smaller AVRs also. The ATTiny13 / 25 / 45 series is an 8 pin DIP, and uses the same underlying avr-gcc that Arduino is built on. The smaller chips are less powerful, and have less program space, so you’re limited in what you can borrow from the arduino environment. It works great, but it is definitely more of a challenge without all the niceness of the Arduino libraries.

If you already have a burner for the ATmega168 chips, that same burner will work on the tinys.

Imgur

It would be nice to have Arduino support for the 8 or even 20 pin devices.

I’ve said it elsewhere but I’m going to say it again. I totally agree with this.

Is the work by the luminet team applicable to your situation? They’re using some ATtinys I think but I don’t recall which ones.

–Phil.

I think they have a good idea. I’ll have to take another look at how far along they are.

ATtiny… definitely the way to go. With WINAVR you barely have to change your coding dialect.

Just uploaded a new Arduino core for the Attiny2313 mcu. I guess this won’t work with the official IDE, but you can test it with my modified IDE that supports all ATTiny chips. Just have a look in the LumiNet Thread for more information about it. You can even use the Diecimila to upload sketches to the Attiny if you don’t have an ISP hardware programmer.