Smallest Arduino that can provide 12v for MD10C

I'm looking at driving a 12v 5a Linear Actuator using an MD10C Rev 3 (10Amp 5V-30V DC Motor Driver) and from what I can tell I can supply the MD10C DC Motor Driver with power from the Arduino (Controlling MD10C with Arduino | Tutorials of Cytron Technologies).

I dont really want to use a full uno to just power the actuator up and down so am wondering what the smallest/cheapest arduino board that would be able to supply that 12v out to the motor driver?

It looks like the Pro Micro 5v is able to accept 12v.... but I'm not sure if it can then pass this on to the motor controller.

Or am I looking at this wrong, and should I use converters to power the linear actuator and stepdown the voltage and use one of those super tiny arduino boards?

My goal here is to really use one 12v power supply.

Any help would be appreciated as there are so many options for motor drivers its confusing me.

No Arduino can power something at 12V.

But all Arduino can be powered from 12V and control a driver. It just can't deliver significant power (at the outputs and 5V line).

septillion:
No Arduino can power something at 12V.

But all Arduino can be powered from 12V and control a driver. It just can't deliver significant power (at the outputs and 5V line).

Thanks for the reply, if I look at the diagram on this tutorial (Controlling MD10C with Arduino | Tutorials of Cytron Technologies)

It looks as though the arduino Uno/Mega is being powered by a 12v adapter which is powering the driver, which then powers the motor.

Sorry I guess I explained myself incorrectly, thanks for correcting @septillion . I suppose what I meant is what is the smallest (physically) type of Arduino board that would be able to be substituted in place of the Uno so that I could run this driver and linear actuator (5amps)?

An Uno/Mega has a reverse protection diode with an absolute max rating of 1Amp between the DC socket and V-in, so forget about powering anything that draws more than 1Amp THROUGH the Arduino.
Power for a motor driver has to go to the motor driver, and then (split) to the Arduino.

An Uno/Mega on 12volt is borderline.
It could already overheat and shut down with the current of an LCD backlight.
12volt to power a small Arduino, Nano/ProMicro/etc. is a big NO.
You must drop this to a lower voltage, or power it with e.g. a 5volt cellphone charger on the USB socket.
Leo..

Wawa:
An Uno/Mega has a reverse protection diode with an absolute max rating of 1Amp between the DC socket and V-in, so forget about powering anything that draws more than 1Amp THROUGH the Arduino.
Power for a motor driver has to go to the motor driver, and then (split) to the Arduino.

An Uno/Mega on 12volt is borderline.
It could already overheat and shut down with the current of an LCD backlight.
12volt to power a small Arduino, Nano/ProMicro/etc. is a big NO.
You must drop this to a lower voltage, or power it with e.g. a 5volt cellphone charger on the USB socket.
Leo..

Great thanks for explaining that out for me.

So what would be my best option for powering the driver and the arduino via just one 12v (6-10amp?) power supply?
I'm assuming there is many ways to accomplish this, but what would be the simplest:
1. a sort of power distribution board if that exists?
2. physically splitting the power supply wires and powering the motor driver, and a step down convertor?
3. L298N H Bridge motor driver... this provides a 5v output for powering an Arduino...but only does 2A continuous output and I need at least 5amps for the linear actuator
4. Connect power supply to arduino 12v barrel jack, and split power supply somehow to also connect to motor driver?
5. Pololu 12A, 5.5-24V Single Motor Controller (https://www.robotshop.com/media/files/pdf/datasheet-1451.pdf) can this send a 5v power out to power the arduino??
5. other options?...

Thanks again for the responses, I thought it would be relatively simple to power the uno and the motor driver with one 12v power supply. But its quickly getting beyond my capabilities as I don't know what is available and I want to obviously keep this safe.

You can power an Arduino just fine with 12V, as long as you don't add much other loads to the Arduino (or indeed the regulator will overload). Just add a second connection to your power supply for the motors - best to connect the two right at the power supply to suppress noise making it to the Arduino.

Alternatively, use a buck converter to step down the 12V to 5V and use that to power the Arduino through it's Vcc pin (so bypassing the regulator). 1-2A buck converters are cheap and easy to find.

Hi Mar_,

Have a look here,

Go to the DOCUMENTATION tab down the page for a lot of info about the UNO. Especially the bit on POWER.

Here,

Shows you some of the Arduinos.

Not by any means the be all and end all but it is a good place to start.

Daz

Power source - buck converter - Arduino
Same power source - motor driver - actuator

Hi Mar,

You can power the MD10C with a 12V battery. Why do you need to power it with a Arduino. If you just want to control the linear actuator, you should try the new standalone motor driver from Cytron, MD10-POT (https://www.cytron.io/p-md10-pot). No additional microcontroller required to control the driver.

engtong82:
Hi Mar,

You can power the MD10C with a 12V battery. Why do you need to power it with a Arduino. If you just want to control the linear actuator, you should try the new standalone motor driver from Cytron, MD10-POT (10 Amp 7V-30V Potentiometer & Switch Control DC Motor Driver). No additional microcontroller required to control the driver.

I just saw this! I guess I don't have notifications on. Thanks so much, I just saw that new motor driver from cytron.... its perfect!