Smart Home Controller

Hello,

I was wondering if it would be possible to build a Smart Home Controller with similar functionality like this: https://www.spinremote.de/products/spin-remote-sdc-1?variant=25480601872 with an arduino? I would like to know if there already exists an arduino project for building a gesture or touch controller? Which and how many sensors would be needed to detect the rotations precise enough?

I already built a smart home system which is able to control lights and a tv via a web interface or simple http requests. Now I am looking for a controller which is small, simple and fast to use in everyday life because I dont want to open a website just to turn on the light.

Any ideas / suggestions / help would be nice.

I dont want to open a website just to turn on the light.

You'd rather find where you left the object, remember how to shake/rattle/roll/stroke it to turn this light on, than to just flip the switch on the wall. Well, OK.

I think you'll find that the device contains a gyro and an accelerometer, to detect the shake/rattle/roll part, and a touch screen to handle the stroke part. Converting raw gyro and accelerometer data to orientation data is one thing. Converting to "gesture" data is an order of magnitude (or two) more complex.

PaulS:
You'd rather find where you left the object, remember how to shake/rattle/roll/stroke it to turn this light on, than to just flip the switch on the wall. Well, OK.

I would agree with that if I would just want to control 1 light. But I would like to make a controller to also control another light, led strip, tv, ... So I think one controller would be easier and cooler than multiple switches and remotes.

PaulS:
I think you'll find that the device contains a gyro and an accelerometer, to detect the shake/rattle/roll part, and a touch screen to handle the stroke part. Converting raw gyro and accelerometer data to orientation data is one thing. Converting to "gesture" data is an order of magnitude (or two) more complex.

Ok yes that sounds complex. But maybe anyone knows a library or a project where this has already been done?
I don't want to use a touch screen, just some kind of touch sensor. It doesn't need a screen and a battery lasts much longer without one.

I just found something which might solve that complexity problem: Overview | Adafruit BNO055 Absolute Orientation Sensor | Adafruit Learning System

With this sensor one could maybe even build a remote which knows at which device you are pointing it. A feature I just saw in this new fancy remote presented at CES this year: https://remote.sevenhugs.com/

Hi daniel17903!

I saw your topic on the Arduino Forum and thought you might be excited to know that we (SPIN remote) just launched an Open API and 2 open source QuickStart apps for Android and iOS!

We got inspired by questions from fellow developers and tinkerers that are building their own smart home integrations and wanted to use SPIN remote as a controller. The logical next step for us was to open things up :).

You can find the QuickStart apps and API specification on GitHub: SPIN remote · GitHub

You can get support on our Developer Forum.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help!

Happy coding!
Arjan

In my home automation project, I’m using both BT HC-05 and IR, with RTC 1307 and 20*4 LCD on I2C bus. First problem is that buzzer / tone command is not supported with I2c , gives compiling error, secondly major issue is that either BT or IR works, depending on which is placed first in loop.
Individually both IR and BT function well. Can anybody guide?
Can I use Atmega 328 with arduino bootloader or Pro mini with IR sketch and the output to another Arduino UNO via I2C with I2C LCD, BT and RTC 1307.
Thanks