Smart home usig arduino

Hi all,
I am new to arduino , I am experience with software programming .

I need to control my home and make it smart using arduino ,

i want to connect Arduino to any electric device and turn it on and off through internet (wifi) ,

Can Arduino chip send Data to any device ? for example if i need to check the status of this device ?

What hardware i must buy , Can i start with Arduino Starter Kit to be experienced with arduino ?

Any reference or guide to start with ?

Welcome to the forum.
You can WiFi shields like this

to let a microcontroller communicate over the internet.
The microcontroller, say a board like an Uno, will do the interfacing with the electric device.

I believe the starter kit comes with a book on what you can do with the starter kit components and writing some code.

I'm just a beginner and I have a project like this I want to use arduino compared to PIC.

Is there no other link that shows us some guide/ideas in building this Smart home using arduino?

if you want to control it via blue tooth this will help you a lot.

Arduino BLUETOOTH Communication with PC :- Embedded Systems: bluetooth

arduino relay interfacing (to connect fan or bulb):- Embedded Systems: relay

Yes, you can use an Arduino Ethernet connected to your home router to control it using your WiFi connection or from the abroad with some configuration on your home router.

I work on this opensource project that support many Arduino solutions even not Ethernet. Using it you can run your in minutes :slight_smile:
http://code.google.com/p/souliss/

Regards,
Dario.

Have a look at www.2wg.co.nz. That is my Arduino based home automation system. The web site shows you some home automation system and web site things you can do with Arduino equipment.

At this time I can open and close my garage door across the internet via this web site and the Arduino system behind it.

I have six temperature/humidity sensors operating around the house and one PIR with more to come.

I use the onboard SD card to extensively track everything. You can browse the SD card on the web site and download some of the files.

I have just completed functionality to turn on and off a fan to use high and low temperatures in my roof space to heat or cool my lounge at different times on the day - I am waiting for winter to arrive before actually selecting and installing the correct fan unit. In the meantime the system (after 2:00pm today) should begin to show the 24 hour history of when the fan (air pump) should be on.

If you track my previous posts in this forum you will find a whole lot more information about the web site and my home automation system.

Regards

Catweazle NZ

CatweazleNZ:
Have a look at www.2wg.co.nz. That is my Arduino based home automation system. The web site shows you some home automation system and web site things you can do with Arduino equipment.

At this time I can open and close my garage door across the internet via this web site and the Arduino system behind it.

I have six temperature/humidity sensors operating around the house and one PIR with more to come.

Regards

Catweazle NZ

Hi..

I'm very new to arduino.. I got one starter kit off the Internet and I've just started playing with it. I also have this idea of home automation and would like to know what it takes and how it take to build this.

Your dashboard is soo lovely and I can't wait to have something like this in ma home.

Regards
Chrischuks

Chrischuks56:
Hi…

I’m very new to arduino… I got one starter kit off the Internet and I’ve just started playing with it. I also have this idea of home automation and would like to know what it takes and how it take to build this.

Your dashboard is soo lovely and I can’t wait to have something like this in ma home.

Regards
Chrischuks

I have been building for more than a year and have a 140kb application that has more than 8,000 lines of code.

I have sourced some code from the www but have rewritten and expanded a lot of it. Even some of the standard libraries I have modified for extra functionality.

I have a professional software development background. I write quality robust code and have released some of it on my www.2wg.co.nz arduino application web site. I am currently finalising file upload functionality and will publish it and a whole bunch of other stuff in a few weeks.

Because i understand the effort, skills and background required to write very good code I am happy to publish my code for the benefit of enthusiasts who do not have a software development background.

Cheers

Catweazle NZ

kabdo85:
Hi all,
I am new to arduino , I am experience with software programming .

I need to control my home and make it smart using arduino ,

i want to connect Arduino to any electric device and turn it on and off through internet (wifi) ,

Can Arduino chip send Data to any device ? for example if i need to check the status of this device ?

What hardware i must buy , Can i start with Arduino Starter Kit to be experienced with arduino ?

Any reference or guide to start with ?

There's this video of an awesome coder guy; I found a link to the video in this article. He's made a smart home from scratch, the sky is the limit to what he can do. He does have an e-mail address and you can e-mail him to ask questions.

Very interesting project and layout CatweazleNZ !!

I am doing something similar with around 20 sensors and 10 distributed arduinos all comminicating with RS485.

I have an electronics background but my webpage skills are very limited. So this is were i am stack!

How did you design that dashboard? HTML?

Would you be willing to share some code?

Thanks

@kabdo85 i am also newbie and new to this
I am working in a project for home automation, that i can control lights, tv and air cond etc... Also you can check status of everything attached to that..
I used an ethernet module + xbee shield + xbee s2 + arduino mega for the Master arduino which will control the whole house, and xbee s2 + xbee shield + arduino nano + relay module + IR transmiter to the slave module which will control all the rooms.
You can also buy this stuff there and we can work with the same project if you want..
Xbees may look expensive but they are noob friendly.