Smart Stroller with auto braking system, with touch sensor (HELP PLS )

:cry: :cry:

Help me pls, its for my project. (I use Arduino)
Honestly i got limited time for write paper or report before make this project :roll_eyes:

And sorry for my grammar or english ;D

I want to build a stroller with auto braking system.

So if u dont touch the handle or grip (in stroller), the braking will actived and ur stroller cant moved.
** And if u Touch the handle or grip (in stroller), so the braking will be inactived and u can go on.**

What should i do?

1. i should using motor Servo or Solenoid (they said solenoid cant stay actived for long times like more
    than 10 minutes), If servo, how i build it? any idea :cry:

2. How i build the braking system with motor servo or solenoid?, i collecting the best ideas i could get
    :smiley:

3. I think i could use copper for touch sensor? or which touch sensor could i get (i think its better use
    elastic touch sensor since i will use it for coveing the handle or grip in my stroller)
    *i prefer use sensor or module since it would nice and for exclusive lol

4. Right now i use ARDUINO, and for the codes i still learn it (newbie aka noob), if i could get any
    codes/ learning code or similiar codes/ project for this. It will really helpfull :DDDD

I wish i could build the braking system like this stroller.

But the different is i dont move stroller with motor etc, because i wish parent still move their own stroller (not depend on system/tech

1 Like

You will have to help yourself. Have you ever built a stroller? What is you vision of this stroller. Have you a drawing of it you can share?

Paul

i want make auto braking system like this.
But only the braking system, not motor dc for move the stroller.

so i want parents still move stroller with their own, not with motor etc

This seems like overkill to me. What you want is a brake that is being pulled by a spring to make contact with the stroller wheel and stop the stroller. To conteract the spring the adult must be hlding the stroller handle and squeezing a lever arrangement. You see this kind of thingon strollers and shopping trolleys already.

The purely mechanical device may put a bit of strain on the adult's hand but with a good lever system they will hardly notice.

If you make the system electronic then the adult is going to have to push around the extra weight of motors, batteries and a computer. Plus the system still has to be fail safe and the adult will probably have to be pressing some switch so that itis easy to detect that they are not holding the handle.

This seems like a lot of extra cost and effort for little if any advantage. Sorry.

Trolleys with push bar to unlock the brakes have been used on airports all around the world for decades. Indeed you have to press it to release the brake, without press the brake engages.

Indeed it would not be fun to have to carry the stroller home, kid, shopping and all, after the battery runs empty and the brake can't be released...

I am sure that your project will be really nice. I can recommend you to pay attention on weight and size of your stroller. Nowadays these is the most important aspects. For example for me, as an active and modern woman, heavy stroller is a nightmare. I have 3 different ones and my favorite is from babyjoggerstrollers.com.au . It is not only light, but it is compact and very reliable. We have been using it for 2,5 years without any repairs. Thing that it is a good sign of quality. Wish you good luck in your start up.

The trick is to design an "over-centre" or "toggle" action into the mechanical lever so that it requires more force to initially squeeze it to the stroller handle than it requires to hold it there in order to avoid fatigue.

When released it will snap back to the "brake" position with sufficient force to apply the brake reliably.

It's a matter of mechanical engineering. :grinning:

Paul__B:
The trick is to design an "over-centre" or "toggle" action into the mechanical lever so that it requires more force to initially squeeze it to the stroller handle than it requires to hold it there in order to avoid fatigue.

When released it will snap back to the "brake" position with sufficient force to apply the brake reliably.

It's a matter of mechanical engineering. :grinning:

I have not seen a stroller with what you suggest but it sounds ideal; essentially a bi-stable mechanical system, you squeeze to apply the brake and it then stays on until you squeeze to remove the brake.

Where I have a problem is with the OP's idea of using electronics and motors. This should be a very simple and light weight mechanical system. The only time the OP's solution appears relevant is if the intended user is somebody like Stephen Hawking who has little physical ability, but then you need a full sytem for steering and motion not just braking.

ardly:
I have not seen a stroller with what you suggest but it sounds ideal; essentially a bi-stable mechanical system, you squeeze to apply the brake and it then stays on until you squeeze to remove the brake.

No, I was not suggesting that as such, like a "push-on, push-off" switch, but an "over-centre" system to make it easier to hold once you have released the brake against a strong spring but will hold the brake firmly when released and it "snaps back".

ardly:
Where I have a problem is with the OP's idea of using electronics and motors. This should be a very simple and light weight mechanical system.

That was my point. :grinning:

Paul__B:
No, I was not suggesting that as such, like a "push-on, push-off" switch, but an "over-centre" system to make it easier to hold once you have released the brake against a strong spring but will hold the brake firmly when released and it "snaps back".
That was my point. :grinning:

I was taking "over-centre" and "bi-stable" to be the same thing "Bistability as applied in the design of mechanical systems is more commonly said to be "over centre" [ Bistability - Wikipedia ]

Do you have any links showing a mechanism like the one you suggest. No problem if you don't just curious.

With a motor powered stroller, DC braking can easily be added and would be fairly fail-safe. It could also be easily disengaged if the battery was flat. On an unpowered stroller, it would seem that even just a mechanical lever locking against a wheel would be safer, more reliable, cheaper, and more effective solution. However it would be possible to use a small geared high torque motor with a cam to actuate this mechanical lever. It may be possible to use dynamo or solar battery charging. Relying on touch contact may lack safety and would not work with a gloved hand. Having a mechanical switch sort of defeats the point of having electronic control.