[SMD] Mini PCB Project

Hi all,

Lately i done a PCB small as possible to be able just to have my ATmega chip and necessary components and few extra power pins so to make it mini and portable for the outside world. Dimensions: 48mm x 39mm |500x375 Pic nr.1 PCB

|500x375 Pic nr.2 PCB

But as you see it was kinda hard for me to drill by hand that 0.8mm and 1mm holes and I already broke a 0.8mm because of the pressure.

So I'm thinking to make a PCB only with SMD chip and components of course i will need to make some extra holes for the pins but that will not be a big problem. I wanna use a directly LiPo or Li-ion 3.7v to power up directly the PCB without any extra regulators of curse i will need a 3.3v and 5v regulator on the PCB to power extra components that need necessary voltages.

Because I'm new to the SMD world and i have some experience in electronics and PCB's can you give me few types of SMD ATmega chips that will be nice for me to use and 3.3v/5v regulators.

Question:

1. Does the SMD resistors same as the normal resistors?

yes. they are exactly the same. but, the numbers tell you how large they are. some are tiny specs of sand

yes. they are exactly the same. but, the numbers tell you how large they are. some are tiny specs of sand

So now i know which one to buy? You mean that there is a 10k resistor in all kind of dimensions?

Btw anyone gonna suggest me a SMD chip ?

You mean that there is a 10k resistor in all kind of dimensions?

How about the 328p-au, that's in a quad flat pack. You can solder it by hand if you use some flux and some copper braid to clean up any bridges.

Jimmy

How about the 328p-au, that's in a quad flat pack.

Is it compatible with arduino? I mean just to plug it and upload codes.

What about the smd 5v and 3.3v regulator, can u give me some models?!

The 328p is compatible with Arduino, in fact it’s used in yhe Uno (some), and the pro-mini.

The quad flat pack may be hard to use on a home etched pcb. Is your board etched at home? The quad flat pack package has a tight pitch pin layout.

Is your board etched at home?

Yes

Something like http://www.capitaladvanced.com/9000ser.htm would probably work easily.

Something like http://www.capitaladvanced.com/9000ser.htm would probably work easily.

What do you mean?

I offer these - no regulators, power it from LiPo at 8MHz, or 3xAA for 16MHz. |500x430 Crystal, couple Rs & Cs on the bottom. 0805 size parts. More pins for Gnds, Vcc than boards like Promini offer. Plus corner mounting holes.

They look nice but I'm thinking to make my own SMD board homemade that's why im searching for SMD components, i wanna test them 1st and them make a big 50mm x 120mm for a project that i have i have a lot of components to put in that board so i need more space because i have a limited size board.