SMD suggestions for current transistor

Hello peoples, I am currently, for the first time, in the process of moving one of my projects from bread board to PCB. I am just looking for some advice on replacing the transistor I am currently using a TIP121 (BJT) Digi-Key with a SMD equivalent. It is being used to drive a 5v ultrasonic atomizer. I was wondering if someone could help me with some suggestions of what I can replace this with, or if I can just use this transistor on my PCB although I it will take up quite a bit of space.

Let me know if I am missing information.

Thank you in advance.

How much current does the thing you're switching with it use?

How much voltage is it switching?

Is there a particular reason you're planning to use an NPN transistor vs a FET?

The only reason I'm using a NPN over a FET is cause it was available at the time. I was considering switching to a fet transistor but I am not sure if it would be benificial to my project, and the NPN is doing the job. I am driving 5v 0.3A.

The link below gets you a decent FET to do your job. Not too expensive either. 46 cents.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DMS3015SSS-13/DMS3015SSS-13DIDKR-ND/2355967

Drain to Source Voltage (Vdss) 30V Current - Continuous Drain (Id) @ 25°C 11A (Ta) Rds On (Max) @ Id, Vgs 11.9 mOhm @ 11A, 10V Vgs(th) (Max) @ Id 2.5V @ 250µA

It's a good idea to put 200 ohms in series with the gate to reduce the current spike while charging the capacitive gate.

There will be 1000’s of SMT switching transistors capable of 0.3A, any supplier
with a parametric search website will find you plenty.

Great thank you both for the suggestions. I will hook up the 200 ohm resistor and work with some FET's

There will be 1000's of SMT switching transistors capable of 0.3A, any supplier with a parametric search website will find you plenty.

Very true, Mark but at 46 cents from DigiKey, met his requirement of SMD and logic level. Then since he is only on 5V I thought why not get RDSon as low as possible; give more to the transducer, less to the switch. I know he doesn't need 11A, but it makes it more durable.